PDA

View Full Version : M-tech door trim installation problem

Russell
10-25-2010, 09:33 AM
I repaired rust (ground off rust, used Eastwood rust convertor & POR-15) on the bottom of my driver's door. Bought new M-tech bottom door trim and painted it body color.

Now I can not seem to install the new trim. I push, even used a rubber mallet etc. I just cannot get it over the bead on the door bottom edge.

Any tips and tricks? I am concerned my rust repair made the bead too thick to push the trim over the bead.

I just may take it to a body shop and have them finish the job. pride is stopping mer from doing so. :)

Thanks, Russell

Russell
10-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Guess no one has done this or it was no problem for them. Guess i will take it to a body shop

Mr._Graybeard
10-29-2010, 10:42 AM
I'll give it a go, Russell.

I installed the trim on my door by starting it at the front of the door by the hinge. Once I had worked the corner of the trim fully onto the metal lip of the door, it opened the channel a bit and made it easier to gradually fit the trim into place, working toward the back of the door.

One other tactic that worked for me: I didn't worry initially about making the front end of the trim line up with the leading edge of the door. I started fitting the trim a couple inches to the rear of the door's leading edge, where I could get some leverage; then, when I'd worked it on maybe halfway and was certain I wasn't going to knock it loose, I slid the trim forward along the lip of the door to line it up. That may have required a few light taps with a rubber mallet -- in fact, I may have used the mallet to start the trim. It's been awhile.

Russell
10-29-2010, 03:09 PM
I'll give it a go, Russell.

I installed the trim on my door by starting it at the front of the door by the hinge. Once I had worked the corner of the trim fully onto the metal lip of the door, it opened the channel a bit and made it easier to gradually fit the trim into place, working toward the back of the door.

One other tactic that worked for me: I didn't worry initially about making the front end of the trim line up with the leading edge of the door. I started fitting the trim a couple inches to the rear of the door's leading edge, where I could get some leverage; then, when I'd worked it on maybe halfway and was certain I wasn't going to knock it loose, I slid the trim forward along the lip of the door to line it up. That may have required a few light taps with a rubber mallet -- in fact, I may have used the mallet to start the trim. It's been awhile.

Thanks, Sounds a lot like what I have done. I have actually damaged trim paint. So I now need to repair the paint. I may try one more time before taking it to the body shop.