PDA

View Full Version : Got the Bilstein blues

whiskychaser
10-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Putting Bilstein B4s on the back end. Fitted first shock but the second box does not contain all the parts. So while I wait for the factors to come to me on Monday, maybe someone who has fitted B4's can help with a query. The shock comes with a plastic cover with a hole in the middle- the shape of an aerosal can lid. The diagram shows it fits upside down on top of the shock. It also shows a spacer that slips over the threaded tip.
But inside part 13 here (at the bottom) is a plastic ring with lugs pointing inwards:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD68&mospid=47405&btnr=33_0532&hg=33&fg=45
You cant fit the ring with the supplied plastic cover installed. So I removed the ring and slid it down the shock, then put the cover on and then slid part 13 over it. All nice and snug. But it leaves a small gap at the top of the shaft which is not covered by part 12. Also, I have the sleeve that came with the kit underneath part 2. It all looks fine and thats usually a good sign. But is it correct?
Apologies for the size of the diagram. Not sure if its my post or the ads that are making it that big:-(

632 Regal
10-05-2010, 08:27 PM
I am pretty sure I have no clue what your asking but I'll give her a whirl...

#12 goes into #13
#12 should sit on the top of the piston rod on a small ledge, don't push it farther.
#2 sandwiches #12 to the top of the piston rod.
#12 slips into #13, just hangs out as a splash guard around the shock.
The inward lugs are just to make it sturdier.
Once you tighten the nut down it will compress #12 so that there will be no gap.
No clue what the aerosol cap lid is all about.

whiskychaser
10-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Been waiting for the replacement part to arrive. Thats a story in itself:-( Anyway thanks for the response. What you say makes perfect sense. The ring I mentioned is part 11 here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD68&mospid=47405&btnr=31_0132&hg=31&fg=10
For some reason its shown on the front suspension but not the rear. Its a tight fit over the shock body. So it wouldnt fit over the plastic cap that looks like a castellated nut in the drawing. So I fitted the ring, then the cap and the boot over both of them. My only concern was that the spacer that came with the kit fits below part 2 you mention so it increases the gap. TBH I cant see any other way it all fits together. Finished the job today. With new shocks on the back the difference in handling is remarkable. Of course what I need to do now is replace the front ones too...:D

Tiger
10-20-2010, 02:29 PM
B4 is Bilstein Comfort... For front, it should have some with its own dust boot... you don't need any of factory boot items. You just need the conical washer that sits on the top before the upper strut mount.

The rear, you use all factory items.

Shoot some picture of the items you mention about.... I got no idea of what you are talking about... spacers that came with the struts.

whiskychaser
10-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Should have taken pics. Car has been off the road two weeks so wanted it back together as I need it first thing in the morning. They are just like this only black and not heavy duty:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E34-525-530-540-Rear-shock-absorber-Heavy-Duty-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d220253a6QQitemZ40000 2536358QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries
The ring on the right obviously goes over the body and the spring rests on it. Next to that is a steel cap that pushes onto the body of the shock -though on mine it is plastic. Then you have the 'spacer' or bush. That slides over the tip and comes to rest on a shoulder below the threaded top section.
Will make sure I order the extra bits with the front shocks

Tiger
10-20-2010, 04:27 PM
I see... I installed mine long time ago and don't recall any issues whatsoever... Don't even remember the spacer... but the spacer would be installed in the threaded shaft before anything else is installed... such as the bumper, shock boot... etc. That way it pushes everything up so the shock boot is up against the upper shock mount.

632 Regal
10-20-2010, 07:14 PM
#11 huh? Maybe that's why my covers get all trashed and stuck to the base in the front shocks. First time I noticed that little doohickey.

Tiger
10-20-2010, 07:23 PM
For front shocks... I installed Sport on my car... with Sport, they comes with boot already installed... so nothing factory is installed other than the collar nut to hold the strut in and the conical washer on the top just before the upper strut mount is installed...

I assume it is the same with Comfort and HD... B4 and B6 I believe is the current name for these shocks/struts.