PDA

View Full Version : a/c not blowing air

fanatic jake dog
06-14-2004, 10:07 PM
from fanatic jake dog, i own a 1989 bmw 525i that i bought about 6 months ago,when i bought the car the a/c only blew on the forth level i removed the a/c control switch and cleaned it out, the a/c blew on all four levels for about 1 day,after that it only blew on the highest level and after adding freon the a/c was cold,after a while the a/c did not always blow on the highest level it would only work at times now it will not come on at all, i can hear the a/c clutch engaging so i am fairly cofident that the switch is not the problem,if there is any help out there i would greatly appreciate it,is this problem the sword,the blower motor or could it be something else, thanks for any help that you can give me,fanatic jake dog p.s. were is the blower motor located

632 Regal
06-15-2004, 05:38 AM
sword

ian w
06-15-2004, 07:06 AM
I had the same problem, replacing the filter not only doubled the flow on full, but also the lower settings began working.
I can't see a good reason why this fixed it, but it did.

Dick Schneiders
06-15-2004, 09:13 AM
They didn't become available until around 1991.

I had the same problem, replacing the filter not only doubled the flow on full, but also the lower settings began working.
I can't see a good reason why this fixed it, but it did.

rickm
06-15-2004, 09:22 AM
I had a clogged filter on my 94 when I bought it. The fan still blew air but it was like the amount of air was off...on position 1 you could barely feel it, position 2 felt like what position 1 SHOULD have felt like. I'm with Jeff (and Dick) on this one, check out the sword.

735guy
06-16-2004, 12:26 AM
from fanatic jake dog, i own a 1989 bmw 525i that i bought about 6 months ago,when i bought the car the a/c only blew on the forth level i removed the a/c control switch and cleaned it out, the a/c blew on all four levels for about 1 day,after that it only blew on the highest level and after adding freon the a/c was cold,after a while the a/c did not always blow on the highest level it would only work at times now it will not come on at all, i can hear the a/c clutch engaging so i am fairly cofident that the switch is not the problem,if there is any help out there i would greatly appreciate it,is this problem the sword,the blower motor or could it be something else, thanks for any help that you can give me,fanatic jake dog p.s. were is the blower motor located

Jake Dog, I'll have to vote for the SWORD too. While there are websites that describe changing the mosfet transistors on the sword, which apparently is what usually fails causing the sword to either stop working or only work on one speed, I opted to just buy a rebuilt sword due to the fact I just didnt have the time nor confidence to try the repair myself and was told, and also read, that there was only about a 50/50 chance if success.

There is a guy who sells them on ebay for a reasonable price and 2 year warranty. Check out item # 7905327462 on ebay and you'll see. When I bought mine I was like you and wasnt 100% sure it was my sword but he said if I bought one and it turned out to not be what I needed then I could return it for a refund and I'd only be out the shipping of about $6, I thought that was fair. He also walked me thru the install which wasnt bad at all and He'll also buy your defective sword from you too.

There are a couple of guys on this forum that bought from him and were satisfied. Anyway I just thought I'd make you aware of a good source in case you choose not to try and fix it yourself. Good luck

jeremyberger
05-13-2010, 09:02 AM
If your compressor is working fine then most likely it is your relay called a limit switch: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HC13&mospid=47402&btnr=64_0168&hg=64&fg=45

I replaced this and the A/C worked fine.

jeremyberger
05-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Yes it is the sword which is also called a limit switch on Real OEM:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HC13&mospid=47402&btnr=64_0168&hg=64&fg=45

I Replaced that on my 1989 BMW 525i and then fan along with the A/C worked fine.

whiskychaser
05-13-2010, 11:40 AM
There is something wrong with my screen. It says somebody posted a reply to a 6 year old thread. Should I inform Microsoft or get my mate Steve round? He says he works in IT but that seems to be a contradiction in terms