PDA

View Full Version : Can you adjust or replace the steering box on an M60?

leicesterboy15
09-28-2010, 12:09 PM
I replaced all my steering arms a few weeks ago and somehow its made my steering loose all sense of direction (pun not intended:) ), it seems vague and after I had it tracked the steering wheel doesn't sit straight on when the wheels are straight, also for about 1/8th of a turn in either direction there doesn't seem to be any movement in the wheels.

I am guessing that becuase all other parts are new it has shown up an issue with the steering box that was originally hidden, all the new parts have been checked by a mechanic and are fine and fitted correctly.

I know a guy round the corner who bought a bent old 540i 6 speed (not envious at all) to swap the drivetrain into a 2002 so I went to get his steering box to swap out for mine (his has 88k) but it was a real pain to remove even without the engine in place and i cannot see how you could ever remove the steering box with the engine in situ without major surgery - raising the engine or supporting the engine and lowering the cross member - are these the only ways to do it or are there easier ones?

I did notice though that it looks like there is an adjuster at the top of the steering box but with the engine in place it is completely obscured by the manifold.

Is there a method to adjusting it or do I just need to have a good fumble? Can you actually adjust it? If so by how much and has anyone ever tried replacing a steering box? There is a bolt that goes through the box and this was a mission to remove with no engine, it looks impossible with the engine in place!

Can I try anything else to solve this problem, is it worth getting it tracked again?

Tiger
09-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Hold on... did you even have the car aligned after all that changes?

whiskychaser
09-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Did you make sure you had the same number of turns out/in on each track rod end? If not that would account for the steering wheel being off. Even if it has been tracked, the car may not self centre properly and may even pull slightly to one side. 1/8 turn is a lot of play. Was it like that before?

bimmo_2007
09-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Hold on... did you even have the car aligned after all that changes?

+1

Try aligning the front first, it could possibley causing the problem.

sal_park
09-29-2010, 07:37 AM
aligning the front

is american for

I had it tracked

On another note - classic sympton of the big 32mm (ish - front memory) nut that allows for reach adjust being loose. Here's a link (http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Steering+play)

Also, yes you can adjust the steering box. I did mine (M50 *much* more room) some time ago and tightened it by about 1/4 turn. You have to be careful as it's possible to over-tighten it. The above link also talks about this.

sal_park

leicesterboy15
09-29-2010, 09:49 AM
is american for

On another note - classic sympton of the big 32mm (ish - front memory) nut that allows for reach adjust being loose. Here's a link (http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Steering+play)

Also, yes you can adjust the steering box. I did mine (M50 *much* more room) some time ago and tightened it by about 1/4 turn. You have to be careful as it's possible to over-tighten it. The above link also talks about this.

sal_park

Love it! Yes it was 4 wheel laser aligned (tracked :) ) They got the front spot on but they said the back was slightly out and as it could not be adjusted at the back it would be a case of replacing parts until it was perfect but it was out by such a small amount I would never notice it.

Thanks for the links Sal, I'll check those out...

I have an electric wheel adjuster so the steering wheel goes in and out elecronically (flash ehh?) so not sure if I have the same nut ( I hope I do and that it solves the problem though!).

The car doesn't seem to pull to one side but sometimes it needs correcting in a straight line, also when the wheels are straight and I jiggle the steering wheel I can't see much movement at the wheels, when the wheels are no point straight and I jiggle the steering wheel I can see movement at the wheels.

Thanks for the links, I'll have a look.

Tiger
09-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Sounds like you need to have alignment done again... tell them your symptoms and they will adjust to compensate for it. The preoblem with newby alignment guys is that they don't know how to think... Old timer knows that they can compensate for rear problem by tweaking the front a tiny bit.

MBXB
09-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Yeah!! The "Nut behind the Wheel"

I'd have the alignment and tires rechecked, then adjust the nut.

Thanks for the link, sal_park.
I had been looking for that in the archives.

sal_park
09-30-2010, 03:34 AM
...they said the back was slightly out and as it could not be adjusted at the back ...

Erm, if I remember correctly you can buy eccentric/odd shaped washers from the dealer to fix this.

Tiger
09-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Funny...

sal_park
10-06-2010, 04:50 AM
Erm, if I remember correctly you can buy eccentric/odd shaped washers from the dealer to fix this.

Found the link (via Russell):
http://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/741en/images/7410835.jpg

Bo525i
10-07-2010, 03:37 AM
Its funny how you should have this problem, I did the exact same replacements and have the exact same steering feeling.. Everything aligned (twice!!!) etc. and it still feels so imprecise! :(

I havenīt checked the big nutter yet tho.. ;)

Tiger
10-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Just a thought... have you guys changed your sway bar links?

632 Regal
10-07-2010, 12:26 PM
also when the wheels are straight and I jiggle the steering wheel I can't see much movement at the wheels, when the wheels are no point straight and I jiggle the steering wheel I can see movement at the wheels.

Right here, either you still have play in some parts or "it is the nut behind the wheel!"

Tighten the big nut before taking it in, might have to crack it loose in order to tighten it up, sometimes it really is tight and seems stuck.