PDA

View Full Version : Got The "Trans Program" Message On The 540i...

Triton540i
09-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Arg! My 5er has started to leak tranny fluid from the front seal in the early spring. I took it out for a drive about 2 months ago and got the "Trans Program" message and it went into limp mode, had it parked ever since. I know I should do a lot of investigation, but I've been seriously thinking about doing the 6 speed manual swap for a long time now, doesn't the 6 speed manual from the e39 bolt right up? All I noticed was an extra sensor in the bell housing, that's about it. I know there's more to it than that, but I'm starting to look for a replacement transmission with 70k or less on it for the swap. Any good advice? :)

shogun
09-16-2010, 06:17 AM
just repair the transmission. That is the easiest of all jobs to change the seal at the inlet, that is a standard repair which has to be made maybe every 10-15 years. Then refill the transmission fluid and it will be probably alright.
Have you ever checked the fluid level? Maybe that is causing the trans warning.
http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Bulletin/DTC.BMW/BMWtransService.pdf

Triton540i
09-20-2010, 02:21 AM
I've been looking for the excuse to upgrade to the 6 speed manual, besides... this automatic transmission has a screwed up way of making it almost impossible to maintain the transmission unless you have a lift, I'm not going to get under a car that's running when it's on jack-stands... no way! I'll take the maintenance on a manual transmission versus an automatic any-day. The dealer charged me $1200 to have the fluid changed years ago, I'm not going to waste money on a slushbox that's going to die on me anyway.

Thanks for the heads up on the seal change. I think I would be better off swapping out the transmission, then trying to recoup a few bucks from the current automatic... it still shifts perfect, I just don't want to deal with automatics anymore.

genphreak
09-22-2010, 06:21 AM
The 5HP30 is an awesome trans, yes we'd like it to have a dipstick but hey, everyone should have a DIS or at least an infra red temp gun, anyway! These cars are not designed for non-equipped servicing. Maybe you too need a hoist in your driveway (like I/we do)! ;)

Don't get me wrong, I prefer manuals too, but it is a tough job and costly. Your insurance company might charge you more for having a 'modified car'.

Remember, the HP30 running properly shuld be silky, strong and efficient- and in no way a 'slushbox'. These ZFs are superb boxes. But with the wrong fluid/levels, it ***will** be all wrong. Maybe try filling it with the right synthetic stuff (several times in the sapce of a month or three) and each time spend half a day getting the levels right. They are very strong, except when they are run w the wrong fluid and/or levels. If you swap, take care to plan and do carefully, in a decent workshop I saw it done to a 540ia, and it took ages and was not easy. On top of that, the computer (ECU) will miss the auto computer, the Cruise Control will too, so you best be sure to have those symptoms sorted out first... My 525i M50 was hard enough.

whiskychaser
09-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Fill it with the wheels on the ground. All you need is someone you trust to keep their foot on the brake. Transprog could be just low pressure because you havent got enough ATF in there. If that doesnt work I'd get the fault codes read. I've changed my auto twice and not opted for manual for reasons of cost and those Genphreak quoted. Plus a used manual is just as big a risk as a used auto box. Just read about a guy in the UK who travelled 250 miles to collect a manual tranny advertised as from a '93 M50. Turned out to be from an M20 of indeterminate age.

632 Regal
09-24-2010, 01:40 AM
Low fluid will cause trans prog errors.