PDA

View Full Version : Retrofitting factory IR remote central locking to an early E34

myles
09-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Its taken me over a year to finally get this right, so I thought that I'd share my experiences. This is the old IR style remote central locking with the switch blade type of key. Its boring and long but might save someone some frustration.

This system is only for cars built before 09/90. Any car built after that date should use the new rf system and would use completely different components. Also, this isn't the alpine system that was available in some markets.

My car is an 11/88 535im ECE and it is prewired for this upgrade. The car previously didn't have DWA, so it needed that too to get this system working. It did have the OBC horn relay in place of the DWA module, so the other parts including the alarm/obc horn were already in place.

I got the parts easily from wrecked E32s of the same era as they have these options fitted occasionally, where as the E34s in my part of the world didn't get this option much at all.

DWA2 module - 65 75 1 388 907 - plug straight in. Had to remove the obc horn relay. It goes under rear seat near the gm and rm.
IR module - 65 75 1 388 450 - plug straight in. Under the rear seat too.
IR receiver - 66 10 1 378 718 - plug in next to sunroof motor/front interior light. I had to cut a hole in the roof lining next to the sunroof switch. There is a marking on the back of the roof lining to indicate where the hole should be cut.
Dash light/sender - 65 75 1 378 785 - plugs in under the fan vents on the top of the dashboard. Requires different fan vents to accomodate it. The basic DWA dash light can't be used because it is different even though they look the same from the top.
The key - 51 21 1 950 394, 66 10 1 390 263, 32 32 1 151 013, 51 21 1 388 909 and 66 10 1 390 655. It goes together like lego.

I fitted the parts and confirmed that DWA was working by testing it with the manual door locks. Then I followed the instructions in the owners manual to initialise the key and got the IR working.

Only problem was that the IR remote would not disarm the alarm when the alarm was enabled, it would just unlock the doors. As soon a I'd open a door the alarm would go off. So I've been unlocking the car manually with the key for ages now.

I've played around with DIS and NCS and other software as I thought that this was a coding/programming issue, but my car is just a bit too old for that. I've tried other IR and DWA modules, but nothing was fixing it.

Today I noticed that there are 3 yellow single pin plugs on the wiring loom just before the wiring feeds into the dwa module. Two female, one male. I changed the male so it had the other female partner and voila - it works perfectly.

On closer inspection of the 89 e32 wiring diagrams on the dwa/power page 6575-00 it all make much more sense. The introduction of the IR module requires the change to connector x418 even though its not worded like that on the diagram I've got.

Anyway thats the story, and I'm going for a drive now to enjoy my new easy to use remote locking.

BigKriss
09-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Do you have any pics?

myles
09-10-2010, 11:42 PM
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483952

That topic has a photo of the ir module (left), the receiver (top), the dash light (bottom) and the key (right) with the switch blade tucked away.

LunatiC
09-11-2010, 12:55 AM
Broken link...

Bo525i
09-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Link works fine here..

myles
09-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Broken link...

I've fixed that link now and just updated the OP a little bit. Will see if I can find any more photos on the web.

Worth noting that this proceedure is only for early E34s built before about 09/90. Cars built after that date used better radio system that didn't require line of sight transmission from the key to the receiver and used totally different components.

Some markets also got a factory remote alarm system that was a bit hack job that was made by alpine, and this isn't that system.

LunatiC
09-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Worth noting that this proceedure is only for early E34s built before about 09/90. Cars built after that date used better radio system that didn't require line of sight transmission from the key to the receiver and used totally different components.
Hmm not necessarily -- I own an 04/1995 525i (M50B25TU) and it has the semisphere sensor under the autodim mirror and IR remote keyless entry setup too.

Some markets also got a factory remote alarm system that was a bit hack job that was made by alpine, and this isn't that system.
Heh maybe this is what I've got then :P

shogun
09-11-2010, 07:27 PM
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/remote_locking/remote_locking.html
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/ivo/remote_install/remote_install.html