PDA

View Full Version : I think its time for another pump...Thats what she said! ;)

BMW4LIFE
09-07-2010, 05:52 PM
So I went to costco to get my tires rotated and they told me that my car had ran out of gas...I told them no way the computer said it had 77 miles left in the tank (I know I shouldn't run the car so low on fuel) so they finished working on the car rolled it out.

I got the car home today (towed) and about to work on it but want to do this right...

1) check fuse 23 to see if its good
2) Check the fuel pump relay
3) Change the fuel pump

Are there any steps I'm missing? Is there anything else I can do to diagnose this situation?

Do I dare?!?!?!

http://www.importecwarehouse.com/BMW-Fuel-Pump-Assy-525i-535i-735i-735iL-M5-E34-E32-p/bm16141181354.htm

Jr ///M5
09-07-2010, 08:38 PM
In your diagnostic duties, don't forget or rule out a clogged fuel filter, especially if you routinely run the tank down to a couple gallons of fuel.

BMW4LIFE
09-08-2010, 01:54 AM
In your diagnostic duties, don't forget or rule out a clogged fuel filter, especially if you routinely run the tank down to a couple gallons of fuel.

I thought of that but I rarely do and I just changed it at 180k and i currently have 191k...so i ruled that out

Bill R.
09-08-2010, 10:40 AM
First thing i would do is add a couple of gallons of gas. I wouldn't trust the miles till empty indicator. If it has gas then i'd check fuel pressure on the fuel rail, If the pump isn't running i would then check the relays and the dme . Then check to see if someone at costco accidently set the security playing with the dash

BMW4LIFE
09-08-2010, 12:55 PM
First thing i would do is add a couple of gallons of gas. I wouldn't trust the miles till empty indicator. If it has gas then i'd check fuel pressure on the fuel rail, If the pump isn't running i would then check the relays and the dme . Then check to see if someone at costco accidently set the security playing with the dash

my friend and I actually pushed my car a block or so to costco's gas station and filled it up..when i saw that it stopped at 17 gallons I knew I had plenty of gas in the tank...tried to crank it again and nothing happened.

One this I no longer hear is the whine from the fuel pump...

how do I check the fuel pressure from the rails bill?

Bill R.
09-08-2010, 03:09 PM
If you don't hear the whine from the pump then no need to check fuel pressure at the rail. Have someone tap on the bottom center of the gas tank while you crank it. If its a bad or going bad pump sometimes it will start to work if you smack on the tank in the center bottom.

my friend and I actually pushed my car a block or so to costco's gas station and filled it up..when i saw that it stopped at 17 gallons I knew I had plenty of gas in the tank...tried to crank it again and nothing happened.

One this I no longer hear is the whine from the fuel pump...

how do I check the fuel pressure from the rails bill?

BMW4LIFE
09-09-2010, 01:46 AM
If you don't hear the whine from the pump then no need to check fuel pressure at the rail. Have someone tap on the bottom center of the gas tank while you crank it. If its a bad or going bad pump sometimes it will start to work if you smack on the tank in the center bottom.

Will do that tomorrow bill! Thanks for the tip!

I do have to ask you though...would you ever consider the fuel pump that I linked above? I know its cheap and you may not put it in YOUR car but I am a poor college student trying to make it...do I dare play with the idea or should I go for the OEM that is 251?

thanks!

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-09-2010, 08:05 PM
CPS? bad one would stop the pump

Bill R.
09-10-2010, 12:41 AM
I put one of the cheap chinese ones on ebay exactly like what you listed on my own car.... less than 3 months later i first put a check valve in and then a week later replaced the pump. Ordered a bosch from Patrick at bma and its been fine ever since.

Will do that tomorrow bill! Thanks for the tip!

I do have to ask you though...would you ever consider the fuel pump that I linked above? I know its cheap and you may not put it in YOUR car but I am a poor college student trying to make it...do I dare play with the idea or should I go for the OEM that is 251?

thanks!

BMW4LIFE
09-10-2010, 02:58 AM
I guess I will skip on the Chinese made one and go for the bosch :D

Thanks for all the feedback!