PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day Weekend Project Complete. Upper/Lower controls plus tie rods

Luke
09-06-2010, 09:53 PM
I just completed replacing upper thrusts and lower controls along with tie rods and center tie rod with idler arm.

I used this forum and others to figure out best ways to remove everything.

Couple of notes:
Pickle fork is a step above a large rock. I could not get that to remove the ball joints from the steering plate (removed the steering plate from strut btw).

The ball joint remover from Harbor Freight did the trick. Just tighten up till you think "hmm that's pretty tight.." ( that's a new type of torque measurement) then whack the lever pressing against the spindle with a large hammer a few times and "Bang!" its out. BTW leave on the nut! The arm will fly out across the room if you don't. I have a nice dent in a paint can a few feet a away.

Anyway, thanks to all the posts out there. It makes owning these strong cars much easier when you need to fix them a bit.

Luke
525ia 1995 205k Miles.
transmission rebuilt at 190k and whole lot of other stuff.

632 Regal
09-10-2010, 01:35 AM
Congrats Luke,

Last time I did a balljoint for whatever reason I took the nut off. I always cringe by the time it pops due to the intense pressure needed. Anyways when it popped it slammed the ground, the puller flew right past my head into the wall. Hopefully I remember next time. ;)