PDA

View Full Version : Finally sold the E34... <wipes away tear>

Robin-535im
09-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Well, I found a new owner for the best car I've ever owned, my black/tan 1990 535i 5-speed. I had it listed for 8 months or so on Autotrader and the BMW CCA classifieds site, and a guy here in town looked me up and took her away.

My wife thought I should have asked more for it - I sold it for just under $6k. I miss it already... If I ever see it driving down the road, I think I'm going to get that feeling like when you see an ex-girlfriend out with someone else.

Luckily my "new girlfriend" is pretty hot too - the M5 is providing me with some moral support... in the form of smooooth torque. :)

Still, nothing like the timeless menacing stance of the e34 to send a chill down your spine. It's been eight years that I've been reading at least the title of every post here at Ed's site. To think of all the space in my brain that's devoted to facts about thrust arms, blue coolant, valve adjustments, twisted seats, heater cores, Sach's kits... this list goes on.

- Robin

philbyil
09-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Hope your new GF will continue to bring a smile to your face and also be as willing and dependable as your old one :D!!

Well, I found a new owner for the best car I've ever owned, my black/tan 1990 535i 5-speed. I had it listed for 8 months or so on Autotrader and the BMW CCA classifieds site, and a guy here in town looked me up and took her away.

My wife thought I should have asked more for it - I sold it for just under $6k. I miss it already... If I ever see it driving down the road, I think I'm going to get that feeling like when you see an ex-girlfriend out with someone else.

Luckily my "new girlfriend" is pretty hot too - the M5 is providing me with some moral support... in the form of smooooth torque. :)

Still, nothing like the timeless menacing stance of the e34 to send a chill down your spine. It's been eight years that I've been reading at least the title of every post here at Ed's site. To think of all the space in my brain that's devoted to facts about thrust arms, blue coolant, valve adjustments, twisted seats, heater cores, Sach's kits... this list goes on.

- Robin

Bruno
09-03-2010, 01:10 PM
I was thinking about selling my touring but I cannot find anything exciting to replace her with, so I will lower her up and install a turbocharger and a 5 speed transmission, that should be really exciting.

bimmerd00d
09-03-2010, 02:41 PM
I was thinking about selling my touring but I cannot find anything exciting to replace her with, so I will lower her up and install a turbocharger and a 5 speed transmission, that should be really exciting.

wow, i haven't seen you in AGES. I picked up a wagon as well :) it needs more oomph

Bruno
09-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Yes I am still around and I cannot bring myself to get ride of my wagon, this car is just amazing (no rust, car from Texas).

Needs more power and I need to fix the self leveling, lower the car and little and add a 5 speed tranny.

My friend TurboDave also has a wagon, he picked up a complete '89 M5 and we are going to do a complete transplant into the wagon. I will make sure to get pictures.

Turbo totally makes sense for me.

Gayle
09-04-2010, 12:01 PM
At just under $6k, I think you did really well.

When I bought my 90 535 that was totally tricked out and had 70K miles, everyone on this board thought I had been skinned for paying $7. And that was 5 years ago.

And when I sold my 90 525, for $5k, everyone thought it was a miracle I got over $2k.

So tell you wife to be happy and spend it.

Jr ///M5
09-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Selling your E34 is kind of like lopping off one of your limbs. I can attest to your feelings when I sold the M5....a part of you goes missing. The analogy of the old girlfriend being seen with another is quite right....a heartbreaker.

Fuzzy logic tells me to experience other cars and not to hold on too tight, but there is a cavernous hole left where the E34 is concerned.

Enjoy the E39 M5, I wish you great enjoyment with it in the future, and I hope she treats you well.

Don't drop off the board, it's people like you that made it possible to enjoy the E34 in the first place. You are still very much a part of this community, sans E34 or not.

Enjoy,
JR

Robin-535im
09-06-2010, 03:07 AM
Selling your E34 is kind of like lopping off one of your limbs. I can attest to your feelings when I sold the M5....a part of you goes missing. The analogy of the old girlfriend being seen with another is quite right....a heartbreaker.

Fuzzy logic tells me to experience other cars and not to hold on too tight, but there is a cavernous hole left where the E34 is concerned.

Enjoy the E39 M5, I wish you great enjoyment with it in the future, and I hope she treats you well.

Don't drop off the board, it's people like you that made it possible to enjoy the E34 in the first place. You are still very much a part of this community, sans E34 or not.

Enjoy,
JR

Thanks JR. I still remember asking you about that white E34 M5 that I passed up on a while back, and your description of how the M5 "feels like an airplane taking off" when the intake resonator kicks in.

I had to fight the urge to lecture the new owner on all the "proper" ways to do things... valves adj technique, tightening the thrust arms, conditioning the leather, 2-bucket (clean + dirty for rinsing) wash once a week, waxing the rims, etc... It was hard to remember that it's just a car, and it belongs to someone else now, and it's his job now to care for it. Jeez - If selling a car takes this much effort, I'm NEVER going to let my daughters get married... :)

Plus - that e39 M5 is really, really nice. The interior is pristine (2-tone grey with aluminum trim), everything works like new, and HOLY MACKEREL I love the 400 ponies. Can't not smile with that much power. Parts are cheaper than you would think but there are a lot more of them to replace than on the E34, and they seem to wear out faster.

Gayle - good to hear from you. Sounds like you got a good deal on both the selling and the buying... I've squirreled away the cash for now, saving up for some headers!

Bruno - Like you and bimmerd00d I totally dig the tourings, I seriously thought about a 540 touring that I could supercharge but the M5 found me first.

Phil - Maybe not quite as dependable, but just as big a smile. I think the e39 is a little more generic and less of a classic, but with the wide tires and the angel eyes it's got a charm of it's own.

Ross
09-07-2010, 10:30 AM
"Well sold" Keith Martin would say.
I miss my 535 too. I don't have $6k to comfort me either.

Bruno
09-07-2010, 10:48 AM
"Well sold" Keith Martin would say.
I miss my 535 too. I don't have $6k to comfort me either.

The good thing is that E34s can be purchased for very low prices nowadays.
a clean 535i with blown headgasket or someone who wants to trade up.
Then you install a turbo and you have a great 300+ HP car in your hands.

Seriously, my E34 is so much better inside than my 2002 subaru WRX... and way less road and interior noises also.

stx133
09-09-2010, 10:27 PM
I have followed a similar path, Flew 800km to Adelaide and bought an 01 E39 540 sport. grinning all the way home, the TORQUE.. doesn't feel the same as my 94 540 for the direct connection to the road, but the compensation is adaequate in other areas. the extra grip and go.. the sports wheel with controls.
Now looking to sell my 540, has got 420,000k well maintained but is due for the regular suspension maintennce... In Melbourne
any offers?