PDA

View Full Version : Do worn rear subframe bushes cause a squeaky noise?

BigKriss
08-09-2010, 06:53 AM
I always thought my aftermarket rear swaybar was the culprit but I put on a normal stock rear swaybar and the noise is still there. Everything else has been replaced and in good condition apart from the subframe bushes.

I found one line saying it could be them, http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showpost.php?p=247792&postcount=2

but has anyone else had this problem. This sound is not depdendant on speed either.

ScottyWM
08-09-2010, 11:09 AM
My worn dogbones squeaked, especially when turning at slow speed. I could shoot them with grease, and the squeak would stop for a while. Replaced the dogbones and the squeak was eliminated.

bimmo_2007
08-09-2010, 06:52 PM
I always thought my aftermarket rear swaybar was the culprit but I put on a normal stock rear swaybar and the noise is still there. Everything else has been replaced and in good condition apart from the subframe bushes.

I found one line saying it could be them, http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showpost.php?p=247792&postcount=2

but has anyone else had this problem. This sound is not depdendant on speed either.

Torn subframe bushings would cause a clunk noise and you can feel the rear end too loose. Mine were completely worn but I rather felt the clunk than hearing it.

BigKriss
08-09-2010, 11:25 PM
hmmmmmmmm. the dogbones look fine (they are only a few years old) and there is no clunk (either heard or felt), the rear end is still tight.

Rick L
08-10-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm sure it can. Friend replaced RTAB with aftermarket Powerflex on his e46 M3 and it squeaked pretty bad. He applied grease and squeak is gone. Maybe apply some grease to several places where you think might be the problem?

Tiger
08-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Cheap dogbones squeeks like crazy. Are you sure the boots are not ripped? I shot in some aerosel grease and it quietened the dogbones. My cheap Hamburg Technic boots are al shredded... shot in waterproof grease... no more squeeks or noises since then.

I got Lemforders waiting to take its place... but no noise... mmm...

BigKriss
08-10-2010, 06:47 PM
I will take some photos of them on the weekend.

Cheap dogbones squeeks like crazy. Are you sure the boots are not ripped? I shot in some aerosel grease and it quietened the dogbones. My cheap Hamburg Technic boots are al shredded... shot in waterproof grease... no more squeeks or noises since then.

I got Lemforders waiting to take its place... but no noise... mmm...