PDA

View Full Version : A long time dying ! A/C compressor rattle.

philbyil
08-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Well,
My a/c compressor continues with its "death rattle" and its been rattling for almost 8 years now. Replaced the tensioner and belt 6 years ago and it still rattled. A/C is as cold as a politicians heart and it still rattles. Doesn't lose R134a, is dependable as clockwork and still rattles.

My anal self tells me to R&R it together with the receiver/dryer but has anyone out there (Winfred or Bill R?) heard of a/c compressors living for years with this rattle or should I just bite the $500 bullet and do the right thing?

If the common wisdom is to R&R, them should I also replace the expansion valve, as I heard it is a PITA job to do? I aim on having a local shop evac and recharge and me install the parts (including new seals).

Would appreciate any wisdom you have on this job!

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-06-2010, 04:04 PM
The rattle could be the clutch bearings... That would explain why it continues to live on.

I only replace the expansion valve if it is needed. Honking , whistling or poor hi/lo numbers.

I am currently going to replace the compressor and drier in my 90 525... just R&R with O rings, evac and fill.

philbyil
08-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks Bob,

That was my understanding about R&Ring expansion valves.
Would the clutch bearings only rattle when the a/c was on and, thusly, the clutch be under load? If that's the case, then I just might as well leave well alone during the TX looong, loooong summer and address R&Ring the compressor during our winter. Maybe not address it at all??!!!!

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks Bob,

That was my understanding about R&Ring expansion valves.
Would the clutch bearings only rattle when the a/c was on and, thusly, the clutch be under load? If that's the case, then I just might as well leave well alone during the TX looong, loooong summer and address R&Ring the compressor during our winter. Maybe not address it at all??!!!!

If you can get a mechanic's stethoscope and listen to the compressor, then you can determine what is rattling.

Since you have the Denso compressor and it is cheap and plentyful, I'd run it until it fails.

Ross
08-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Lemme know if you want a new compressor. I have a fresh reman for that car, $100 to your door.