PDA

View Full Version : do springs ever go bad/wear out?

Russell
08-06-2010, 02:29 PM
I am going to repalce my rear struts soon. I may replace the springs as well. I hear on some other forums that springs get "weak" and just do not do the job any longer. Even so, the car may not sag or look low.

Just wondering what others think?

philbyil
08-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Budget dependent of course and if you aim on keeping the car, I would replace the springs. However, all that aside, the ride height on my 95 is still "as new" with 62k on the car.

Russell
08-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Budget dependent of course and if you aim on keeping the car, I would replace the springs. However, all that aside, the ride height on my 95 is still "as new" with 62k on the car.
I have 188k plus on mine with original rear struts.

Tiger
08-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Absolutely yes! I'd change them out at 100,000 miles... maybe 140K miles at the most.

Tiger
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Original totally dead struts? You are crazy!

Russell
08-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Original totally dead struts? You are crazy!

Rear only. Fronts were replaced a couple years ago.

bubba966
08-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Yeah, they weaken with age. Usually causing sag or they'll break a coil off.

I'd probably pick up some new ones while you're doing the struts. Factory springs will be in the $150 per spring range if you wanted to keep it OE. Think you can get a nice set of UUC/H&R/Eibachs for $250-$300 for all four. And this weekend UUC is having a sale on the H&R & UUC branded stuff they carry.

That'd make the UUC E34 spring kit about $275, and the H&R E34 spring kit about $190 after the UUC discounts.

Tiger
08-06-2010, 11:45 PM
With rear out of control, you can't steer the car... you think you are steering the caar with front wheel but rear wheels will steer the car regardless how well you control the steering wheel... the unpredictability.

Rear end spins out of control in wet weather and crazy out of control in winter.

BennyM
08-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Where does one find new OEM springs? I have had the hardest time tracking those down, and factory is all I want since everything else is too harsh or lowers the car too much for winter driving.

bubba966
08-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Order them through a dealer. Got mine from my local dealer. Could've ordered them through Tischer as well. And if I was able to get new springs for a car as rare as mine (they did have to come from Germany though) you should be able to get new springs for your car as well.

bubba966
08-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Oh, and you order new springs based off of your VIN and what options you've got. Can't just get a part # off realoem. Was interesting to look at the spring table to see what options made differences to what springs you needed.

Tiger
08-07-2010, 10:47 PM
I am wondering... if you are going to order stock springs for your car from BMW... why not buy the M-Tech springs from the dealer? It can't be that much difference in price.

BMA can order them for you.

bubba966
08-08-2010, 09:17 AM
I don't think there's any difference in prices in the springs, but I didn't try to buy non-EDC springs for my car when I ordered new ones.

So if you wanted M-Tech springs for a 525 you'd want to find a VIN from a similarly equipped (ASC or no, heated seats or no, etc) 540/6 to use to get the part # for the springs. But while BMA could certainly order a set for you, I don't think it'd be as cheap for them to get you factory BMW parts as it would to just order them from Tischer through getbmwparts.com

Russell
08-09-2010, 11:34 AM
With rear out of control, you can't steer the car... you think you are steering the caar with front wheel but rear wheels will steer the car regardless how well you control the steering wheel... the unpredictability.

Rear end spins out of control in wet weather and crazy out of control in winter.

Yes you are correct. the car does seem to wander a bit.

I had an accident where the rear drifted out on ice after i was passed by a very large suv. i was going about 30 on an icy two lane road and he blew by at about 55 which caused the rear of the car to shake and then drifted/slide of my lane. of course I was on thin A/S tires with about 5/32 tread. i now have winter tires on a second set of rims.

Bimmer Nut Ed
08-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah, they weaken with age. Usually causing sag or they'll break a coil off.

Just like bubba says, they sag or they break, that's all they can do. And if they don't sag, and are not broken, I would not waste my money on new ones.

Tiger
08-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Just the age of the spring is enough to warrant a change. Trust me... new spring is so much better than old one.

Russell
08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
I do not think I am going to put new rear springs on. My shop is going to install new rear stuts, pads, bump stops and the whole deal next week.

Kibokojoe
08-09-2010, 09:03 PM
These Bimmers are heavy and yes the springs go bad

Rick L
08-10-2010, 09:42 AM
I still have OEM springs for 1995 525i and it is in excellent condition. I swapped them out in 2003 @ 60k miles with Eibachs. You can have them for FREE. :)

Where does one find new OEM springs? I have had the hardest time tracking those down, and factory is all I want since everything else is too harsh or lowers the car too much for winter driving.

Russell
08-10-2010, 12:06 PM
I still have OEM springs for 1995 525i and it is in excellent condition. I swapped them out in 2003 @ 60k miles with Eibachs. You can have them for FREE. :)

Sounds perfect
How soon can you get them to me? Not sure of your location.
I will pay shipping to lexington, KY

email me at plan1@insightbb.com. For some reason I can not get to your e-mail or send you a private message.

Russell

Rick L
08-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Hey Russell, PM sent...

Sounds perfect
How soon can you get them to me? Not sure of your location.
I will pay shipping to lexington, KY

email me at plan1@insightbb.com. For some reason I can not get to your e-mail or send you a private message.

Russell

BennyM
08-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Crap. I would have taken them off your hands as well as my 525i is quite saggy these days. Too slow....