PDA

View Full Version : Issues with shop clutch kit R&R

jofusfarr
08-01-2010, 02:08 AM
Took the car in for a clutch job and ran into some issues after the shop attempted the work.

Apparently, they installed a mismatched clutch kit, incompatible with the aftermarket flywheel that was on the car.

Results:
-Clutch would not engage - pedal all the way up and the clutch was just barely rubbing the flywheel.
-There are burn marks on the pressure plate side of the clutch disc. Clutch pedal was depressed, pushing the diaphragm fingers way too far and making contact with clutch disc friction material. Shop wants me to eat the cost of the clutch kit and I protested.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how this could have happened and hope some of you more experienced in clutch R&R would assist me. I've never worked on a clutch.

My questions:

Would this issue not be apparent while installing the transmission? Wouldn't you feel the resistance of the throwout bearing against the pressure plate as you attached bell housing? Similarly, unusually high resistance would be present in the clutch pedal, I assume?
The burn/glazing of the pressure plate side of clutch disc indicates more than just a mere instant of contact with diaphragm fingers - it indicates prolonged or forceful contact, which no doubt would result in a audible noise encouraging you to release clutch pedal. So why was it fully depressed causing this damage?

whiskychaser
08-01-2010, 06:01 AM
First thing you do before you fit a new part is make sure its the same as the old one. The fact it has an aftermarket flywheel makes no difference. The last person to change it was bright enough to get it right or your clutch would never have worked. So why not these guys? They put a square peg in a round hole and its supposed to be YOUR fault?

Ross
08-01-2010, 07:42 AM
The clutch disc was probably installed backwards. Look for signs of the clutch hub binding against the pilot bearing/crank.
I cannot conceive the diaphragm being pushed far enough to contact the friction material, if it could it would be over center and probably stay that way.
Morons. They ****ed it up.
Good luck, it's difficult to argue with stupid people.