PDA

View Full Version : Guibo or flex disk where to buy?

Kibokojoe
07-30-2010, 04:32 PM
My Guibo is gone and I need to purchase another. The local bimmerobbers wants $125.00 holy crap. Seen them on line for a cheap as $39 including shipping on ebay. About $50 at Pelican. Any suggestions?

///Sniper535
07-30-2010, 04:58 PM
BMA Parts, or higher priced getBMWparts.com and BAVAUTO.com

wool
07-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Although I use many of the online parts stores, I've found Pelican to be the best in price for many parts. Not sure if you've done this fix but here's what I did. Ordered everything from Pelican for about $140

I just did the guibo and other preventative drive shaft stuff. Buy a set (6) of the 12mm lock nuts for the guibo bolts. MAKE SURE you install the guibo with embossed arrows pointing towrds the flange. Tighten nut/bolt only from flange side.

Removing the exhaust is a good time to replace ALL the hangers. If you haven't had the exhaust of in some time, you'll probably wind up cutting them off or breaking a stud so you'll need the exhaust nuts, studs and gaskets for the header to manifold connection.

Also a good time to remove the drive shaft and replace the center bearing on the drive shaft - even if it appears in good condition. This requires separating
the front shaft from the rear shaft. MAKE SURE you mark the position of the both halves BEFORE you separate them or you'll screw up the shaft balance. when you put them together. Consider replacing the guide bushing if worn. It's a real pain to get off.

I also replaced the transmission mounts which was very easy once the exhaust and drive shaft were out. Just support the transmission when you do this.

This is not an easy job, but certainly doable. Good luck

Wool

'95 530it
'95 Volvo 850 GLT

Kibokojoe
07-31-2010, 01:34 PM
Yeap I have done this project before on my sons 7. Had to replace the driveshaft but his was an automatic no Guibo.

Pulled the shaft on my 5 about 2 years ago and replaced the center bearing.

Just finished pulling the shaft....Looks like I will need to get a driveshaft for this one too. Grabbing both half's of the driveshaft and twisting them in the opposite direction I can feel a ever so tiny gap. 190,000 on this shaft guess its time to replace it.

Rustam
08-02-2010, 10:15 AM
My Guibo is gone and I need to purchase another. The local bimmerobbers wants $125.00 holy crap. Seen them on line for a cheap as $39 including shipping on ebay. About $50 at Pelican. Any suggestions?

I buy at pelican first choice or autohaus - both have been nice vendors...

bubba966
08-02-2010, 05:35 PM
I buy most of my stuff from Pelican or Tischer BMW (getbmwparts.com) due to the usually great prices & great customer service. I've bought a thing or two from autohaus as well. Would much prefer to buy from a reputable retailer than someone off of eBay who may or may not be around next week.

If you have some issue with the part will the eBay guy take care of it? Will they still be around? Will they even pay any attention to you after the sale? Where did the part come from? Is it some really old dried up stock, factory seconds, etc? There's no way to be sure of these things on eBay.

I've bought enough stuff from eBay over the last 12 1/2 years to know that there's things to buy on eBay and things I'd rather not buy on eBay. I'd rather not buy vital car parts off eBay.