PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't get suspension apart this weekend

Craig
06-14-2004, 12:47 PM
The PO of my car put Bilstein HDs in with BavAuto springs. As a result, the car bottoms out all the time. I picked up pair of almost new Sports to replace them with.

I pulled out the driver's side assembly without any trouble, but could not for the life of my get it apart. I took the upper strut nut off, but the strut mount appears to be rusted/stuck to the strut. I even relaxed the spring compressors and let the springs push on it (I know, not the safest thing in the world) to no avail. I soaked it with penetrating oil and let it sit while I took the passenger side off.

The lower three bolts on the strut assembly would not loosen, at all. I even put an impact gun on them and ended up damaging the socket! That's how tight these things are and I have a feeling they aren't coming apart. Sooo, looks like I get to buy all new stuff for that side. :(

Anyone ever have this happen? Any suggestions on what to do?

632 Regal
06-14-2004, 01:27 PM
yep sounds like rust in the strut, the lower 3 bolts are real tight, I needed to get a 6 point socket and carefully loosened it with a beater bar.

Craig
06-14-2004, 01:35 PM
yep sounds like rust in the strut, the lower 3 bolts are real tight, I needed to get a 6 point socket and carefully loosened it with a beater bar.

Tried that and had no luck. :(

I'll probably just take it somewhere and pay a shop $50 to break them loose.