PDA

View Full Version : Center Bearing replacement

wool
07-22-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm replacing the center bearing on a 1995 530it?

Do I have to remove the entire drive shaft or can I leave the rear half shaft in place?

Thanks

Wool

h2oyo
07-22-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm replacing the center bearing on a 1995 530it?

Do I have to remove the entire drive shaft or can I leave the rear half shaft in place?

Thanks

Wool

I dont know that you have to remove the drive shaft but I would, it just seems like it would easier to work on that way. make sure you mark the drive shaft before separating it. It was balanced the way it is so just to make sure you dont get any vibrations I would mark it so it can go back together in the exact same position.
Johan

Kibokojoe
07-22-2010, 10:36 PM
You will have to pull the entire shaft, or at least I had to. Make sure you mark the two halves so you get them back together in the same alignment. I marked the center and both ends to include the shaft to differential and shaft to tranny. You can remove the back of the exhaust with both metal and rubber hangers and carefully lower it just enough to get the shaft out. I removed the exhaust brace on the tranny too. This give the exhaust a lot of flex but be careful you can mess up the exhaust manifold connection. Also make sure you have enough wire loose on the o2 sensor. Once you have the exhaust down you can remove the heat shield.

rockin1978TA
07-22-2010, 11:32 PM
The drive shaft has to come out. You have to put the driveshaft in a vise to seperate the halves. Use a large socket to press the bearing in.

wool
07-23-2010, 12:01 PM
i