PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat Q

///Sniper535
07-11-2010, 09:21 AM
My engine is overheating in slow/stopped traffic. I thought it was my fan clutch but i think it may be the thermostat. It may be stuck closed because the lower radiator hose from the thermostat and radiator are cold compared to the rest of the hot hot engine. Could the radiator not heating up cause the clutch not to engage?

///Sniper535
07-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Ok, so upon removing thermostat housing, little coolant spilled out. I was baffled, but I continued to installing the new thermostat. took out the 19MM bolt and the bleeder screw. I open the coolant reservoir cap, i heard a pressure relief sound and all the coolant in the bottle gets sucked down and and coolant begins to come out of where the 19mm bolt hole and bleeder hole. What the hell kinda of air pocket was that?? Anyways, topped off coolant, bleed the coolant and car runs at normal temp with fan clutch engaging. The old thermostat looked fine but who knows...

Grantus
07-12-2010, 01:25 AM
Sounds like you've sorted it anyway.

genphreak
07-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Its very common to get a weapy radiator, the M30 doesn't self blled, so evenually you get an airlock adn no flow... a la your symptoms exactly :).

You need to check for that, any leaking hoses/connections and also the very common and cheap leaky o-rings in the heater box :) They let in a bubble of air or two per hour, so given a month or two... kappazmo!