PDA

View Full Version : M60 oil drain plug -need fix

wool
07-11-2010, 08:07 AM
The oil drain plug on my 530it seems to be stripped and I looking for solutions but first I need to clarify the plug sizing. One reliable resource calls for 22m-1.50 plug while another reliable resource calls for a 22m-1.5 plug

If I do remove the pan for rethreading, what would you recommend for the new plug size. (the pan is steel, not alum.)

Has anyone come across the "oversized" replacement plug?

I'd rather repair this than replace the pan with new or used

As always, thanks for the help.

Wool

yaofeng
07-11-2010, 05:19 PM
The oil drain plug on my 530it seems to be stripped and I looking for solutions but first I need to clarify the plug sizing. One reliable resource calls for 22m-1.50 plug while another reliable resource calls for a 22m-1.5 plug

If I do remove the pan for rethreading, what would you recommend for the new plug size. (the pan is steel, not alum.)

Has anyone come across the "oversized" replacement plug?

I'd rather repair this than replace the pan with new or used

As always, thanks for the help.

Wool

I thought it is 17mm, head and shank. If you are removing the pan to rethread, you'll find out when you do. Just use the closest size tap to rethread it. Metric or std does not matter.

genphreak
07-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Just swap the pan it's a fun job :) If you decide to thread in situ, fillings can be spat out via flushing old oil down + out tho... :)

Grantus
07-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Isnt 22m-1.5 the same as 22m-1.50? The zero literally means nothing.

bimmo_2007
07-14-2010, 07:10 AM
I thought it is 17mm, head and shank. If you are removing the pan to rethread, you'll find out when you do. Just use the closest size tap to rethread it. Metric or std does not matter.

+1

If I were you, I'd use the closest size tap.