PDA

View Full Version : m30 crankshaft pitting

BigKriss
07-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Here is a m30 crankshaft out of the car, on a few sides (but not all) there is pitting (about 3mm at most). Is this normal? and can I get it polished out to reuse?

Pics are here;

http://picasaweb.google.com/Kristianandlily/M30Crank#

Ross
07-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Looks like lint on the journals to me. Too late for plastigauge. Can you mic the journals?
If you can feel anything it definately needs to be polished. Even if smooth it may be worn enough to require grinding for oversize bearings.
Bring it to a crank grinder for inspection if you are unsure.

genphreak
07-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Here is a m30 crankshaft out of the car, on a few sides (but not all) there is pitting (about 3mm at most). Is this normal? and can I get it polished out to reuse?

Pics are here;

http://picasaweb.google.com/Kristianandlily/M30Crank#

Mate, I have a spare crank but have no need for it. Come and take a look when u pickup your stuff...

632 Regal
07-08-2010, 05:10 PM
looks like lint to me also, id run it if there are no nicks.

Bill R.
07-08-2010, 07:52 PM
I can't tell from your pics, All i can see are the friggin counterweights...What i can see of the throw looks like lint or dust like everyone else says.... Typically the only cranks i've ever seen pits in are either welded up cranks and reground or hardchromed cranks done by some of the rebuilders. A pit will have zero effect on the engine other than the fact that it will retain some oil. Micro polish it and don't worry about the pitting unless it really is 3 mm deep (not likely)

BigKriss
07-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Sorry guys for the confusion. The pitting is only on the counterweight, not on the part that attaches to the bearings. I focused on the camera on the counterweights becasue thats were the pitting is. I dont have another crank, and I havent seen one in my hand before so I dont know weather its normal or not.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jeff N.
07-09-2010, 12:58 AM
The pitting is from aged blinker fluid leaking into the crank sump. Yer screwed.

BigKriss
07-09-2010, 01:49 AM
is it fine then?

The pitting is from aged blinker fluid leaking into the crank sump. Yer screwed.

myles
07-09-2010, 03:50 PM
that crank looks fine to me. if the rest of it looks like the parts in the photos i'd be happy to use it

Bill R.
07-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Yes, its fine... the counterweights could have the creeping crud and they would still be fine, they're only counterweights

BigKriss
07-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks for everyones comments.