PDA

View Full Version : Driver's side wiper arm... Reverse hook replace with normal hook?

CharlesAFerg
06-25-2010, 05:24 PM
If anybody has an early E34, they probably know what I'm talking about. Instead of a downward hook to hold the wiper blade like any normal car, the arm is backwards, and the hook dips down and then hooks back up. It's weird, almost backwards, but mine is so old that it's begun to bend and the metal now scrapes my windshield after I replaced the blade.

Suggestions on whether it's possible to replace it with a late model wiper arm? Also, where can I get one? It's destroying my windshield!

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-25-2010, 07:45 PM
If anybody has an early E34, they probably know what I'm talking about. Instead of a downward hook to hold the wiper blade like any normal car, the arm is backwards, and the hook dips down and then hooks back up. It's weird, almost backwards, but mine is so old that it's begun to bend and the metal now scrapes my windshield after I replaced the blade.

Suggestions on whether it's possible to replace it with a late model wiper arm? Also, where can I get one? It's destroying my windshield!

yeah, the 91 on wiper arm should fit

whiskychaser
06-26-2010, 03:05 AM
yeah, the 91 on wiper arm should fit
Mine is a '92 and the driver's side is also 'upside down'. Not clear how the hook scrapes the screen?

tim eh?
06-26-2010, 08:30 AM
I found a normal hook one at a wreckers - no idea what year it was - plug and play. My old one scraped the ws too.

CharlesAFerg
07-02-2010, 02:11 AM
Mine is a '92 and the driver's side is also 'upside down'. Not clear how the hook scrapes the screen?

Idk either, I think it ended up bending slightly and also the fact that the arm itself at the connection has gotten thinner/worn at that hook so the wiper section wobbles, chatters, and somehow(?) scrapes. I have a scrape across my windshield now, a hazy 1/2 inch thick line that runs about 6 inches right in the center where the hook is located during the turn.

632 Regal
07-05-2010, 12:13 AM
I ordered a oem style from AZauto and it's the normal style and came with a blade. You can get the refills to work if you mess with them long enough. They usually don't seem to want to work but eventually I figured it out, real strange stuff.

shogun
07-05-2010, 12:31 AM
the angle is most important, here my wonderful instructions :D

how to check and adjust the angle of the wipers
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/292534/

leicesterboy15
07-05-2010, 06:05 PM
I've got a late 96 car, one of the last tourings made and it still has the upside down drivers arm but mine is RHD so I guess my right way up passenger side would fit your car?

Apparently they are like this if you have the speed sensitive pressure thingy or whatever it is - its the thing that makes a funny noise when you turn the engine off if you've used your wipers.

This is my drivers one:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/Cars/driverssidesideoncloseup.jpg

genphreak
07-07-2010, 03:13 AM
Yea, its time someone made new arms for e32 and e34, they all bend and go wonky with age. Swik make the Pressure Adjustment Devices, PADs, but don't supply direct- at least not their dinky distributor here in Oz. I am sure that the PAD need not be noisey :)