PDA

View Full Version : How many feet of water ?

Mordan
06-24-2010, 04:51 AM
Your car is flooded by an overspilling river. survival is possible?

Water in the differential probably?

I guess for the engine it may survive until water gets in by the air filter, provided the engine is well sealed.

genphreak
06-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Don't expcet the engine to be sealed. You are right to start by checking the ir filter. Always pop the sump plug to check. Also, the diff can the gearbox have breathers that a night of immersion might allow ingress worth checking out. The main thing is the carpet, underneath is a lot of foam, an e34 for example can hold >20Liters of water under the carpet without showing it. There are drains under that wil allow it out, but its best to remove teh seats, the carpet and dry it thouroghly. The elcetrics under the rear seat **must** be checked and dried. Other than that, it should be just fine.

whiskychaser
06-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Floods in Belgium - when did that happen? You mean sat nav sent you down a river instead of a road;)

Mordan
06-26-2010, 02:22 AM
thx for the replies.

30 people dead in France because of unusual torrential rains, in the Var region. Many cars are ruined, crushed and destroyed of course. I thought to myself what if it happens in my region. Seeing all those cars with mud I thought to myself is it possible to save them from scrappers? :)

whiskychaser
06-26-2010, 03:01 AM
If you get oily water and sewage inside your car I dont think you would want it back:( But it does raise an issue - will the insurance companies call it an act of god and refuse to pay up?

Bruno
06-28-2010, 05:25 AM
thx for the replies.

30 people dead in France because of unusual torrential rains, in the Var region. Many cars are ruined, crushed and destroyed of course. I thought to myself what if it happens in my region. Seeing all those cars with mud I thought to myself is it possible to save them from scrappers? :)

I bought (back in my youth) a Lancia delta that was a flood damage. Drained all the fluids and the car ran great, I had a lot of problem with the carburator jets until I placed an inline fuel filter (crap in the gas tank).

I think it is possible to salvage the car as long as the electronic didn't get too much water and the interior isn't soaking wet...
Still it is a gamble.

I drove with my E34 through some flooded streets, but not a river...

Ross
06-28-2010, 06:43 AM
As genphreak stated pull the drain plug, water is heavier and will settle to the bottom.
Running the engine as soon as any water is removed is a good idea as the engine heat will boil out any remaining.
Auto trannys will probably require several fluid exchanges.
Diffs and trannys simply drained and refilled then checked to see if the oil becomes milky from residual. The gearboxes don't get hot enough to boil out residual water so should be monitored for milky oil and reflushed as needed.
Fuel filters will retain water, change them. If the gas tank had water be sure to get it all out. Some can remain in the bottom un-noticed until it rote the tank. Fuel driers(alchohol I believe)will emulsify the water into the fuel.
Electronics are another ball game and purely a crap shoot.
I know a fellow who has bought water damaged cars and spent dozens of hours tracking down gremlins in some and had no trouble with others. Me; I wouldn't gamble if the electronics were ever wet unless I was prepared to change EVERYTHING.