PDA

View Full Version : New 5 series- mixed feelings

Russell
06-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Drove the new 5 series 335i and 2011 Mercedes series back to back today at my local dealer today.

The Mercedes was more “Buick like”. Smooth driving and riding with predicable throttle and brakes. Well assembled. Did not feel quick. Very solid feeling. Nice car.

In contrast the BMW felt quite different. BMW was much quicker with a very non-linear throttle that seemed soft then would quickly gather speed-almost a surge. I think it was the turbo. Brakes were very touchy, especially at first and in comparison to the Mercedes. As expected the BMW ride was much different. Could feel the road much more then the Mercedes. Also I thought I heard a rattle in the driver’s door. Are there quality issues of the first run? Mixed feelings. I sort of liked the Mercedes.

bsell
06-23-2010, 01:14 PM
How did you find the Merc's seats? The ones I've driven seemed too firm for my tastes...

Russell
06-23-2010, 01:36 PM
How did you find the Merc's seats? The ones I've driven seemed too firm for my tastes... Seemed fine. only thing i really noticed there was good side support from teh bottom.

Bill R.
06-23-2010, 11:32 PM
That well assembled was purely a perception on your part, not always a fact.. I'm finding benz quality to be steadily getting worse rather than better...

Drove the new 5 series 335i and 2011 Mercedes series back to back today at my local dealer today.

The Mercedes was more “Buick like”. Smooth driving and riding with predicable throttle and brakes. Well assembled. Did not feel quick. Very solid feeling. Nice car.

In contrast the BMW felt quite different. BMW was much quicker with a very non-linear throttle that seemed soft then would quickly gather speed-almost a surge. I think it was the turbo. Brakes were very touchy, especially at first and in comparison to the Mercedes. As expected the BMW ride was much different. Could feel the road much more then the Mercedes. Also I thought I heard a rattle in the driver’s door. Are there quality issues of the first run? Mixed feelings. I sort of liked the Mercedes.

genphreak
06-24-2010, 07:25 AM
The Mercs always have much less to argue with as they are the conservative choice. The BMW, by design, has peculiarities between models that one gets the hang of and are seldom arguable, they in fact often become enjoyable once you get to live with them. it takes a lot to build character into modern cars. BMW think about such intricacies far too much (but have to as they push the envelope further). IMHO it's only if you want a Buick-like ride that can tip the balance away from the Bimmer

Russell
06-24-2010, 07:37 AM
That well assembled was purely a perception on your part, not always a fact.. I'm finding benz quality to be steadily getting worse rather than better...
Preception-true. However, initial preception was a big part of BMW's comparison drive. Also per JD Powers surveys, BMW quality is going down while Mercedes is going up. That said, your experience carries more weight with me. The BMW just held questions for me. I was surprised at the difference. It had been years since I had driven a mercedes.

Perhaps I am ready for a Buick like vehicle. :) My wife said I need a lexus sedan. NOT!

repenttokyo
06-24-2010, 10:04 AM
the 5 is just so boring looking. it's like they focus-grouped the term 'inoffensive'.

BennyM
06-24-2010, 01:06 PM
I also checked out the new 5. I'm glad the new one still has personality (or soul) unlike the less-quirky Audis and Mercs I've been in. It still feels like a BMW.

http://www.myrickvisual.com/Pics/31192_425076186755_561131755_5525770_714882_n.jpg
I actually like the design of the new one much better, though the E60 front is more intriguing to me. Over all, the E60's body always felt disjointed and uncohesive to me. The interior aesthetics of the new 5 are a notch above recent BMW and Merc models. I'm pretty excited about the new suspension and engine, BUT I also had some concerns about the ft and finish of the vehicle. The doors, trunk and interior panels all required a surprising amount of effort to operate, particularly the little storage panel in front of the gear shifter. That little spring-loaded thing was nearly impossible to open. And I felt like I had to slam everything in order to actually make it close. This left me with an impression that the car wasn't as refined or solid as it should be.

And then there's the annoying "make profit off of maintenance not car sales" strategy. The OBC in particular seems to hate the idea that the owner would even consider opening the hood.
http://www.myrickvisual.com/Pics/31192_425076386755_561131755_5525794_8382443_n.jpg
http://www.myrickvisual.com/Pics/31192_425076411755_561131755_5525798_4897481_n.jpg

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/790170

Russell
06-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Forgot to add. did not like the fit and finish of the trunk. of course no tool kit. Under hood, there was so much very thin plastic covering everything. Everything sort of looked as substantual as a new Toyots (is that good or bad?).

Our old cars just look more solid. I sort of worried that my old e34 would seem worn out compared to the new Merc and BMW. However, I was surprised. it felt very nice. a little noisier, rode rougher, felt edgier, yet felt a lot like the new 5. I noted that with the e60.

Apparently there is a 5 series DNA with soul. BTW, they had a 550i with sport package and many goodies there as well. it was about $73,000. I did not have time to drive it.