PDA

View Full Version : No power in rear windows (Down only)?

BadAss95-530i
06-23-2010, 08:43 AM
My rear windows wont go down. No clicking, no effort, no sounds. Seems as if they do not have power.

BUT, they go up (they are already up, so they dont go far) but you can hear the motor engage. There IS power. Just not down?

Its not a dirty switch, fyi. I darn near polished the suckers with electrical cleaner and diacletric grease and even tried a different switch panel all together. Results are the same.

Any ideas about what would kill the down command only in both rear windows?

ScottyWM
06-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Did you try the universal fix yet? Open the door. Sit inside the car. Hold the switch down (to open the window) as you slam the door shut. Does it work now? The windows can jam shut if not opened and closed once in a while.

BadAss95-530i
06-23-2010, 11:39 AM
ha, yes i did try that. In fact, since ive tried (and failed) that, the other side quite working too. I do not believe it is the plastic gear, i do not believe its the bushings on the windows. I do not believe things are just gummed up. If they were, then I would hear the motor 'try' and come down before it failed to do so.

Seemed to me that last week the motor would at least engage (but fail to come down) in the driver side. The passenger side back worked fine.

NOW, Literally, no activity. Neither motor engages (no sounds, no clicking, no whining/straining, literally nothing). But 'up' engages. So it has power...

What are the chances my child safety switch is stuck somehow? Do windows go up with the child safety engaged?

ScottyWM
06-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Okay.. another dumb question then. Did you make sure the window lock (or whatever it's called) in the center of the 4 window switch (the switch between the front seats) is not on? It would prevent the rear windows from opening.

If that's okay, I'd try resynchronizing the windows as if you'd changed the battery.

BadAss95-530i
06-23-2010, 12:19 PM
yes, thats what i meant by 'child safety switch'. I know mine is not depressed. But im wondering if my setting is stuck despite the button not being depressed.

when i normal and functional depressed, does it stop all movement, or just downward movement? If just downward, then maybe ive got a short that isnt unhooking that feature? If it would stop all power to the rears, then that isnt my problem...

So re-synching the windows you say eh? I must say this is the first ive heard of that. But ill start researching. Thanks.