PDA

View Full Version : ABS removal

Kibokojoe
06-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Over the years the PO'ers have spilled brake fluid on the frame under the master cylinder and now the paint is all bubbled. I want to remove the old paint and coat the frame with rust bullet. I need to remove the ABS module but I can't find any instructions on how to remove it. This is the ABS module correct? If I remove the four oil lines (red arrows) will I have problems getting the air out of the system? Any help will be appreciated
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj225/kibokojoe/ABSmod.jpg

rockin1978TA
06-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Yes that's the ABS box, and you will need to run a lot of brake fluid through to get the air out of the lines. Harbor freight sells a brake bleader that will help.

sal_park
06-17-2010, 02:59 AM
Over the years the PO'ers have spilled brake fluid on the frame under the master cylinder and now the paint is all bubbled. I want to remove the old paint and coat the frame with rust bullet. I need to remove the ABS module but I can't find any instructions on how to remove it. This is the ABS module correct? If I remove the four oil lines (red arrows) will I have problems getting the air out of the system? Any help will be appreciated
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj225/kibokojoe/ABSmod.jpg

(the below is my opinion: I've not taken apart an abs unit myself so take this with a pinch of salt)

I'm really not sure how you would do this successfully. What I can say is that if you disconnect all the hydraulic's to the abs unit and then reconnect and bleed (using the home diy technique) I think you will have issues with trapped air. The reason I think this is because of all the valves in the abs unit make it very difficult to remove all the air.

What about just moving the abs unit without disconnecting the hydraulic lines ? They may give just enough movement to get to the paint.

If you do disconnect the unit and need to bleed you could try this method:
(again, not done it myself but have heard firsthand of it being used)

1) bleed the car with normal diy method
2) take the car onto a split mu surface (e.g. drivers side on grass, passanger side on tarmac)
3) accelerate and then brake hard enough to set the ABS off.
4) goto 1) until brakes are fully blead.

Kibokojoe
06-17-2010, 06:05 AM
So just bleed the ABS through the closest brake line?