PDA

View Full Version : Miss the old BMW Gummi-Pfledge

Russell
06-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Anyone ever find a good inexpensive substitute for the old BMW Gummi-Pfledge in a tube? I never have. I have just a bit left.

Can't even find any on e-bay

Jehu
06-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I think Bavarian Autosport sells it.

Part # : AS 6500

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Russell
06-14-2010, 09:03 AM
I think Bavarian Autosport sells it.

Part # : AS 6500

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Not the same stuff.

Jehu
06-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Anyone ever find a good inexpensive substitute for the old BMW Gummi-Pfledge in a tube? I never have. I have just a bit left.

Well you did ask for a "SUBSTITUTE for the old ..." Have you asked anyone how this Gummi Pfledge works? I have never used it but I'd be surprised if it didn't contain the same stuff in a different style of applicator or at least something that does what the old stuff did which you have to admit does fit your request..

If you'd have asked;'Where can I buy the old stuff?" I would have been unable to reply.

Russell
06-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Well you did ask for a "SUBSTITUTE for the old ..." Have you asked anyone how this Gummi Pfledge works? I have never used it but I'd be surprised if it didn't contain the same stuff in a different style of applicator or at least something that does what the old stuff did which you have to admit does fit your request..

If you'd have asked;'Where can I buy the old stuff?" I would have been unable to reply.
I have used it and several others. None seem to be as good as the original BMW product. Even the new BMW Gummi Pfledge in an aerisol can is not as good. The old BMW stuff is just gone from the market, perhaps some is even hidden away by crazy people. :)

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-14-2010, 05:41 PM
What about zymol stuff

http://www.zymol.com/zymolseal85oz.aspx

Russell
06-14-2010, 06:28 PM
What about zymol stuff

http://www.zymol.com/zymolseal85oz.aspx
Have not tired it. Heard is was cloes to the old BMW stuff. may buy some to add to my collection.

mikell
06-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Try BMW "Special Lubricant for Door Seals" part number 83 19 9 408523. Expensive, of course.

Tiger
06-15-2010, 10:34 PM
What is Gummi Pfledge used for?

Jehu
06-15-2010, 11:43 PM
What is Gummi Pfledge used for?

Keeps Rubber Door Seals from drying out and getting brittle.

CharlesAFerg
06-16-2010, 02:13 AM
You guys.... How could you not know about this...

http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-rubber-care-stick.html
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2107_1212434

Russell
06-16-2010, 05:19 AM
You guys.... How could you not know about this...

http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-rubber-care-stick.html
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2107_1212434
Tried it as well. Thin water like. looks and feels like Armorall or aerospace 303. Just does not work as well, in my opinion, as the original gel like BMW Gummi-pflege.

Mordan
06-16-2010, 05:22 AM
I miss the old bimmers. I can't find a new E34 anywhere. Where can I buy one? :p

sometimes the market is inefficient. a superior product disappears for some reasons

Russell
06-16-2010, 05:25 AM
I miss the old bimmers. I can't find a new E34 anywhere. Where can I buy one? :p

sometimes the market is inefficient. a superior product disappears for some reasons
original price I hope :)

Russell
06-16-2010, 05:40 AM
Shin-Etsu Grease from Honda is recomended for door seals. I think it is about $12 from your Honda dealer. Have not tried it.

Kytrox is also recomended by Corvette people it is about $40-60 for a small tube fro several on-line vendors. I think Kytrox is same as BMW carbflo (sp) which is also about $40. Have not tried it.

Tiger
06-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Does it prevent the rubber seals from sticking? I got a MB trunk seal that well... stick like you would never believe... If I don't open my trunk every day... it will stick my trunk shut... I have to pull the trunk open!

Russell
06-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Does it prevent the rubber seals from sticking? I got a MB trunk seal that well... stick like you would never believe... If I don't open my trunk every day... it will stick my trunk shut... I have to pull the trunk open!
BMW gummi pfledge stops gaasket sticking. never had a gasket freeze to adoor on my BMW.

I bought the Shin-Etsu Silicone grease Honda part # 08798-9013 today. It is 100g/3.5 oz tube (about the size of a toothpaste tube). Cost about $30.00. Edit You can get it on-line for 1bout $14- I got ripped. The parts people knew exactly what and why I wanted it.

It looks (gel like & mostly white) and feels very similar to the old BMW gummi-pledge. We shall see.

Edit. Not the same. It does not soak in a quickly as the original BMW Gummi-Pfledge. It seems to leave some greasy residue on the door frame. i may wait a couple of days and wipe off the door frame. Seals feel very nice. I aslo used on my ford explorer. The seals felt dry before and now they feel softer and smoother.

Tiger
06-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Not the same but good? Let me know and I'll run to Honda to get a tube.

Russell
06-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Not the same but good? Let me know and I'll run to Honda to get a tube.
not really sure yet. give m a couple of days to see if it soaks in.

Tiger
06-17-2010, 01:48 PM
K... otherwise Zymol Seal is it. I will wait. Heck, my trunk been sticking for 2+ years... not a big deal.

Russell
06-17-2010, 02:56 PM
K... otherwise Zymol Seal is it. I will wait. Heck, my trunk been sticking for 2+ years... not a big deal.
Zymol seal is gycerine based. Gycerine is water soluable. Would it wash off/out. Does this matter?

FYI, some people have used plain gycerine that you buy at the drug store. go figure.

Tiger
06-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Mmm... I could test glycerine soap... I use it everyday. It keeps my face nice and supple...:D

Russell
06-18-2010, 11:14 AM
The Honda grease seems to work fine. it soaks in slower than the old BMW gummi-pflege. May need to wipe excess of the door jams after a day or so.

Tiger
06-24-2010, 10:51 AM
So Russell, is it good stuff?

Russell
06-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Seems to work better than anything else i have tried. best replacement so far. i have used it on both my vehicles.

Tiger
06-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Good enough for me... I'll go pick up a tube.

shogun
06-24-2010, 11:45 AM
here cheap http://www.bernardiparts.com/Shin-Etsu-Grease__08798-9013.aspx
Honda SKU: 08798-9013 Your Price $12.52
Genuine Honda Shin-Etsu Grease. Used for lubricating rubber door seals.

quote:

When applying silicone grease it is recommended that all old grime and grease is removed from the seal before the application of fresh grease. Then put some Shin-Etsu G-30M onto a clean cloth and rub it into the rubber seals around the doors, window and sunroof, the boot and under the bonnet may also require attention.The application process should be repeated twice, to ensure that the grease has been worked into the rubber surface as much as possible.

Product Information
Honda Part # 08798-9013 is Shin-Etsu part number G-3W-0-M.

This Shin-Etsu G-3W-0 series of silicone greases is now known as the G30 series. The equivalent grease to Honda part number 08798-9013 is now the G-30M.

It is recommended in Honda manuals that you apply silicone grease to the rubber seals of your car every 3-6 months to protect against squeaks and leaks.

We supply this item in two forms - a 30g syringe and a 100g tube these are priced at £10.49 and £20.99 plus VAT and carriage

Honda TSB:
http://downloads.hondatech.info/Auto/Service%20Bulletin/S2000/a03-023.pdf

Convertible Top Creaks, Pops, or Rattles While Driving Over Rough Roads
SYMPTOM
The convertible top creaks, pops, or rattles while
driving over rough roads. This noise is only noticeable
with the top raised and the driver’s and passenger’s
windows closed.
PROBABLE CAUSE
This noise can be the result of any of these causes:
• Gaps between the mounting bracket and the plastic
trim of the convertible top lock handles
• Rubbing of various weatherstrip pieces and plastic
parts on the convertible top frame
• Dry pivot points on the convertible top frame
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Raise the convertible top, and close all the windows.
While an assistant test-drives the vehicle to duplicate
the noise, use a stethoscope to pinpoint the source.
Then do all the steps in the REPAIR PROCEDURE.
NOTE: This repair procedure fixes the most common
causes for this convertible top noise. Using the
stethoscope helps in the diagnosis to make sure there
are not other sources that need to be looked at.
REQUIRED MATERIALS
Shin-Etsu Silicone Grease:
P/N 08798-9013, H/C 4642294 (One tube repairs about 25 vehicles.)

Tiger
06-24-2010, 03:02 PM
I just bought a tube at the dealer... $16.05 plus tax.

Online is a good price but $11 shipping for one tube is way too much money.

Russell
06-24-2010, 03:21 PM
My honda dealer overcharged me at $28.00 . Now i know why local Honda owners dislke the dealer.

mikell
06-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Now i know why local Honda owners dislke the dealer.

Don't most people have "issues" with all new car dealerships for just this reason? At least I get a 15% discount on BMW parts from the dealer 'cos of the BMWCCA deal.

Tiger
06-24-2010, 06:58 PM
It is wierd... on my invoice, it said 16.05 Net price... and the list price is $20.51... still... $28 is outrageous!

Maybe they stupidly bought from online source for $25 and still have to make a profit... Makes absolutely no sense... they are dealer.

Tiger
06-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Look Ma! It's not sticking anymore! Whoohoo.... my trunk doesn't glue itself shut anymore... I am gonna lube all the cars up.

I lubed it with my hand... and I think it is too much grease. Perhaps a piece of foam will do a consistent job without wasting the grease?

jayh3
07-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Try Hahn Motors in Yakima, WA. I bought some there 3 years ago when the freezing weather would make the door rubber stick together.

Russell
07-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Try Hahn Motors in Yakima, WA. I bought some there 3 years ago when the freezing weather would make the door rubber stick together.
You mean the old school gel like Gummi pflege in the green metal tube?

Tiger
07-05-2010, 06:30 PM
A piece of foam make is very easy to spread and consistent quantity of Shin Etsu on the seals... I just did all my cars.

Bad news is my driver door BMW seal is bad... ripped and torn