PDA

View Full Version : Driver's door open warning

whiskychaser
06-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Nice to know this is working and is accompanied by the interior light but this has started to come on when the door is firmly closed. If I tug on the door while driving it will go off. The switch works fine - if I press it in with the door open, the light goes out.
So, the latching mechanism in the door is a 'C' shape and the inner part of the 'C' grabs the hook in the door pillar. My logic says that if I move the striker plate inwards this will tighten the door but wont affect the switch as its the outside of the 'C' that operates it.
While the switch surface doesnt appear to be worn, I'm concluding this is the problem. And sods law says I will need a new striker plate and switch.
Could somebody please find a flaw in my logic?

BMWDriver
06-11-2010, 05:20 PM
How are the wires ?

whiskychaser
06-11-2010, 06:06 PM
How are the wires ?
I did what I should have done before posting - searched!;) Tomorrow I will try swapping the striker hook for a rear one or just putting some tape on it:D

Would appreciate it if you could point out where you think there may be a problem with the wiring and I will be sure to check it out

BMWDriver
06-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Bare wires comes to mind, as well as corrosion at the switches, or the metal where there is contact which could use a bit of sanding ; although I've no idea what the mechanism you're looking at is exactly, this is usually good measures to look at and consider.

whiskychaser
06-12-2010, 04:05 AM
Swapped the driver's door striker plate with the rear as that one isnt worn at all. Then adjusted the rear by angling it very slightly so the gap between the locking mechanism in the door and the switch is reduced. The plate inside the pillar isnt captive so I used a long bolt to hold it while I did the change.
All wiring intact. Job done:D

brodee
06-14-2010, 05:26 AM
Just to add to this thread in case someone is searching later. On mine the switch was worn down. I pulled a new piece from the rear of a parts car since I figured the rears aren't used as much so shouldn't be as worn. That fixed the issue without any further problems.