PDA

View Full Version : 4HP22 shifting question

Kibokojoe
06-11-2010, 11:49 AM
When I select manual shifting on my automatic transmission it shifts smoothly from 1st through 3rd gear but when I shift from 3rd into D there is no change from 3rd to 4th gear. Should the transmission shift from 3rd to 4th in manual? Getting ready to rebuild the valve body and it sounds like I have more than one problem.

nirvana19
06-11-2010, 12:15 PM
When I select manual shifting on my automatic transmission it shifts smoothly from 1st through 3rd gear but when I shift from 3rd into D there is no change from 3rd to 4th gear. Should the transmission shift from 3rd to 4th in manual? Getting ready to rebuild the valve body and it sounds like I have more than one problem.

In manual mode the car does not shift to 4, D and 3 gear selections are thus equivalent, sounds like you're fine in that area.

How labor intensive if the valve body rebuild? This is something I've wanted to do for some time, my transmission works fine but has always been quite jerky.

Kibokojoe
06-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Haven't done it yet but I use to rebuild Rochester and Mikuni carbs so with a manual I think I can do it. Shogun says to print out the manual and tape the parts to the print outs. Based on the manual there are a lot of small parts springs balls and such but if you keep them straight it should all go back together. My problem is they don't make a rebuild kit for the 4HP22 and so I have to break down the valve body, figure out which springs are broken and then order the necessary parts. I know some guys say there is a rebuild kit but I can't find one. The guy I am talking to in Texas says if they had a rebuild kit there would be like 80 different kits. They use this transmission in a lot of vehicles.

here is the page on the rebuild
http://www.e38.org/e32/e32%20transmission%20valve.pdf