PDA

View Full Version : OT: I Miss the Old Days of Bimmer.info

nirvana19
06-10-2010, 12:39 AM
To those who still use this site and love their E34s,

I just want to say that I miss the good old days of these forums when most of the people on these forums respected and appreciated their cars. There was once a time when there were still a few original owners on this site and thousands of posts a week. Before I bought my first E34 I read through every thread on this site every night so that I would know what to look for in the cars, what would go wrong, and how to fix them. I knew of features like the OBC's 30 second before the hour chime, parked car ventilation, double locking to close the sunroof and doors, etc. before I had ever set foot inside one of these cars. I bought my 535i during the heyday of the online enthusiast community which, at the time, helped me maintain and repair the inevitable defects that a then nearly 20 year old car owned by a young kid was bound to have.

One of the things that drew me to the E34 in the first place was the enthusiasm and passion from the bimmer.info community that was evident throughout all from the technical to the off topic threads. Today's E34 community, more active on bimmerforums.com, is primarily made up of adolescents who buy these cars as cheap beaters and, as one would expect, treat them as such. It's a real shame to see that most of the older people on here have moved onto newer cars or simply moved away from the online community, but I suppose that this was an inevitable state of affairs. I'm in a very different financial situation from that which I was in when I first bought my E34, and could very well afford to drive a brand new 535i. Nonetheless, due to fairly minimal amount of driving that I do these days I have no intention of selling my E34 or purchasing a newer car. Not even an E39 is anywhere near as satisfying to drive for me. I'm hoping that an online enthusiast community of more mature owners will re-emerge over the next 5-10 years as I plan to hold onto my teenage bahncruiser until in becomes a classic. Until then, this is a shoutout to any of those who are or were a part of this once vibrant community, treating their E34s like the finely engineered sport sedans they are, who may happen across this post.

Cheers

BennyM
06-10-2010, 01:32 AM
I've been here since 2001 and no, it's not as active as it once was, but I haven't lost hope. I still check posts on a daily basis. And apart from a new 535i or 335i (not that I could afford them), I can't see myself driving any other BMW than the E34.

BigKriss
06-10-2010, 04:14 AM
yeah, I'm still here too :)

genphreak
06-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Yea, my thoughts are with you nirvana19.... but I've not lost my enthusiasm :)

I (we) have 4 e34s now. I guess when I'm 50, I'll have 5!

Better than one new one perhaps... LOL!

Only one is a beater (I hate that word). That said, it recently got a new subframe setup, trnany, clutch and factory brakes. Might get new paint one day - and tomorrow the lower suspension arms and tie rods will be replaced. It has done 220000 kms, I can't wait until the shimmy is gone and I can drive her properly!

I tend to agre though, I think a lot of people have moved on. But I know they will come back, an e34 is like a house one grew up in... everyone goes back at some point. Keep it real- we're still here putting up w Jeff :) and a number of ppl pop back in from time to time.

Time to revive bmwe34.net too...

repenttokyo
06-10-2010, 10:50 AM
i find this site is still great - have noticed only a drop in the volume of posts, not the quality of posts.

whiskychaser
06-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Only been a member for about four years so I guess that still makes me a newbie? :) I still think this site is best for knowledge, support and courtesy.
Something to raise a smile if we are in danger of becoming too nostalgic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mq59ykPnAE
Apologies if it doesnt travel well

Mitch90535im
06-10-2010, 12:46 PM
I bought my e34 via eBay the Saturday before 9/11/2001. Been here since, although my other BMW (2005 R1200 GS) commands most of my attention these days.

Russell
06-10-2010, 03:12 PM
I enjoy the site. I also enjoy many of the other e34 sites. each of them have their own "flavor". I have owned my e34 since 2003 and plan to keep it many more years and I suspect with minimal modifications, just highly maintained.

Phil Sanderson
06-10-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm back! and I still have my gold 525i (since 1991)
regards Phil

ILoveMPower
06-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Hey all, don't frequent the site as much but it's just as enjoyable as ever :)

Dave M
06-11-2010, 05:47 AM
Keepin it real since 2003.

As someone stated, the number of posts has decreased, but I keep checking in as posters are respectful and threads are still of a high quality.

Dave

ScottyWM
06-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Yeah, noticed the same drop off in posts. Been here since.... well way back with the old format the Bill R. and I loved LOL!

Another thing to consider is that a lot of us old-timers who used to post here for help and to help others have done so many of the repairs now (sometimes more than once or twice) that we don't need to check in as often. This site is still one that I check daily, but really - aren't you all tired of hearing me complain about the difficulty changing the cabin filter?

Russell
06-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Is Bill R. still around? He is great

BadAss95-530i
06-11-2010, 01:21 PM
ive been primarily a lurker and knowledge obsorber for the last 4 years here. The other forum may be more 'active' these days, but there are a ton of repetitive opinion-based topics.

When it comes to hard core knowledge, or if I'm looking to 'search' for a valuable thread, i know this is the website that has the good stuff archived. Very appreciative of it.

(side note, the theory about the older crowd slowly moving on to other vehicles and the youngsters taking over is something I never considred, but really makes sense. Kind of sad like you said. but just think, in 20 years, the current owner of e60s are going to have moved on, and the used e60s will be falling into the hands of the youngsters. kinda wild when you think about it)

mikell
06-11-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm Still Here, too. And, like some of the other replies, I look in on the forum frequently - I just do not see too many topics that have not been explored and get as much out of the archives as the current posts.
I really miss the joke threads - Wilfred had a few that literally made me laugh until I couldn't breathe.
I've had my e34 since 1997, and it now has over 280k miles. Since joining the forum, I have done a great many repairs on the old girl with advice of the greats - Bill R is still my hero.
My plans are to keep the car as long as it is feasible - I'm starting to use some oil, probably due to valve stem seals, and that's a repair I am not equipped to do, so I'll have to ponder whether to bear that cost.
As the result of the enthusiasm boost I got from the forum, I now have an even older car - an e30 convertible - that I'm slowly bringing to a new life.
I may never buy another car newer than 15 years old.
Hang in there, biummernuts. I'll be looking at you.

RobPatt
06-11-2010, 11:21 PM
I was on the old board too (username was wobesan)... that was in '02 when I got my E34.

I don't miss it because now I know so much MORE about my car, that I enjoy driving it so much more....

All because of this community.... Thank you to everyone!

<< just installed the black powerflex thrust arm bushes... they're PERFECT... a little more sold, great feel, by no means "jarringly hard"... forced and man-handled the old bushes out... resued the arms, put/assembled the new 2 piece bush in... all I can say is WOW, should have done this WAY earlier!>>

I just want to say that I miss the good old days of these forums when most of the people on these forums respected and appreciated their cars. There was once a time when there were still a few original owners on this site and thousands of posts a week. Before I bought my first E34 I read through every thread on this site every night so that I would know what to look for in the cars, what would go wrong, and how to fix them. I knew of features like the OBC's 30 second before the hour chime, parked car ventilation, double locking to close the sunroof and doors, etc. before I had ever set foot inside one of these cars. I bought my 535i during the heyday of the online enthusiast community which, at the time, helped me maintain and repair the inevitable defects that a then nearly 20 year old car owned by a young kid was bound to have.

One of the things that drew me to the E34 in the first place was the enthusiasm and passion from the bimmer.info community that was evident throughout all from the technical to the off topic threads. Today's E34 community, more active on bimmerforums.com, is primarily made up of adolescents who buy these cars as cheap beaters and, as one would expect, treat them as such. It's a real shame to see that most of the older people on here have moved onto newer cars or simply moved away from the online community, but I suppose that this was an inevitable state of affairs. I'm in a very different financial situation from that which I was in when I first bought my E34, and could very well afford to drive a brand new 535i. Nonetheless, due to fairly minimal amount of driving that I do these days I have no intention of selling my E34 or purchasing a newer car. Not even an E39 is anywhere near as satisfying to drive for me. I'm hoping that an online enthusiast community of more mature owners will re-emerge over the next 5-10 years as I plan to hold onto my teenage bahncruiser until in becomes a classic. Until then, this is a shoutout to any of those who are or were a part of this once vibrant community, treating their E34s like the finely engineered sport sedans they are, who may happen across this post.

Cheers

Bimmerman
06-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Started following the posts in 2003, though wouldn't 'reward' myself by joining bimmer.info til I had my own E34. Still driving my '92 525 and could never have done it without this site and e34.net. checked out the 'other' place once or twice but never felt the need to join them.

Bill R.
06-12-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm amazed at the number of you that have kept your e34's all this time.... I've alway had a problem with getting rid of cars and thought it was just typical for me..

ILoveMPower
06-12-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm amazed at the number of you that have kept your e34's all this time.... I've alway had a problem with getting rid of cars and thought it was just typical for me..

It makes it a little easier to hold onto a car that does everything so well :)

Bill R. as always man thanks much for all the wisdom you have spread the great thing about this site is that everyone's mindset is to help out for the greater good of these cars and their owners.

genphreak
06-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Another thing to consider is that a lot of us old-timers who used to post here for help and to help others have done so many of the repairs now (sometimes more than once or twice) that we don't need to check in as often.
A good point, most of the ground has already been covered info wise, but some new -age and wear issues are showing slightly different symptoms these days, but I think we've got most of the bugs in the e34 covered (more than twice) :)

This site is still one that I check daily, but really - aren't you all tired of hearing me complain about the difficulty changing the cabin filter?Hahahhahaa try changing the damn thing on a RHD car, one has to start by removing the steerign column... LOL!

genphreak
06-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Heh... I just got some brochures the other day (the old showroom brochures)... off ebay when I was looking for some parts. Leafing through them is like buying a new one all over again.. LOL! "Let's see, the frugality of a 525 or the powagh of a 540? Which should I buy?"

Hmmm

... makes it so much easier when they are 1/50th of the cost. And having years of first hand experience with them. All I have to do these days is choose a set of keys! Next step is a showroom and a workshop to go with 'em!

GJPinAU
06-13-2010, 06:43 AM
thats his E34 collection. What about the E30 and the 7 and the E39????

GJPinAU
06-13-2010, 06:46 AM
Mate, I thought you were lost somewhere in Afganistan...

bimmerd00d
06-13-2010, 07:01 AM
I think i was one of the first five members when Ed set this place up. It makes me feel nostalgic.

Jeff N.
06-13-2010, 10:59 AM

Well said. I'm surprised I've kept it this long as well! :) And that you've kept yours Bill.

632 Regal
06-13-2010, 11:26 PM
been here almost the whole time, miss the good old days for sure. I remember when this was my startup page, there was always something good to read.

I can bring back the thread that caused the demise of this forum but people do not like to look at reality staring them in the face. It was a single female member a few years ago that caused the whole ****ing catastrophe. She caused rule changes, banned messages, banned members to the point that even me a mod was afraid to even open this site up.

I still keep my E34 in decent condition and continue to cherish the best vehicle I ever owned, just miss this forum.

632 Regal
06-13-2010, 11:27 PM
you are the meaning of nostalgia ;-]

I think i was one of the first five members when Ed set this place up. It makes me feel nostalgic.

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Hahahaaa, there was a whole lotta leg humping, net thugs and fun back then.

But this is still the only E34 forum i visit, besides the ///M5 one.

genphreak
06-15-2010, 05:41 AM
Jeff, you took her to heart too much. But we all know if you'd been true to your convictions your heart wouldn't have got in the way of your non-PC side.

But then again, you had enough **** ot deal with at the time so I guess we can just about let you off for that :)

(But are you saying that, if you'd been on your guard, none of this would have happened?)

Anyway, don't fret, we're all stil here... things die down just cause some get older, some move on and others enjoy ads and talking **** about performance pod filters and stick-on perfromance, which never goes down well around here. Damned good thing too: If it waznt 4 all the lazyassmofos hangin around bf spewin **** man it'd be alirght hangin ova there... LOL! U know wot I mean coz I'm just rippin u up beiatch.

BTW: It's interesting that some end up coming back (welcome nirv19 et al !!!)

Ferret
06-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Checkin' in, don't post too much here these days because the E31 keeps my hands full - though there may be another E34 on the horizon as someone I know is selling up another manual TDS estate and I need a cheap runaround.

Delicious.

JesterE34
06-15-2010, 03:13 PM
i dont post here often but my bookmark button to this forum still says "Bimmer.info" on it lol

MBXB
06-16-2010, 12:08 AM
Still here. Joined when my daughter was 2. She starts high school in the fall. She wants my E34!

Robin-535im
06-16-2010, 06:56 PM
I can bring back the thread that caused the demise of this forum but people do not like to look at reality staring them in the face. It was a single female member a few years ago that caused the whole ****ing catastrophe. She caused rule changes, banned messages, banned members to the point that even me a mod was afraid to even open this site up.

How did I miss that? Was that Gayle? She's the only female I can recall being on here. And that one that had a red 1993 535... and OF COURSE the photo shoot from Australia (Geoff?) of the younger gal / hired model on the E34... should have bookmarked those...

Remember the post from the guy who accidentally killed his girlfriend's kitten b/c it puked up rose petals? That one tripped me out for a long time.

Edit - nevermind, I found the thread with the things and the stuff and the moving... can't figure out where the heck I was though, I think I've read at least the title of every single post since we switched over to the new software.

Dave M
06-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Remember the post from the guy who accidentally killed his girlfriend's kitten b/c it puked up rose petals? That one tripped me out for a long time.

No, do tell......

What about the troll that had the castle in his sig pic. Was he for real?

Dave

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-17-2010, 08:21 PM
No, do tell......

Dave

FUKM5?...what a douche bag

nirvana19
06-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Good to see some familiar members still here! I always browsed far more than I posted so I think I've probably read the majority of the thread titles from 6 or 7 years ago to about last year.

Kittens??

Robin-535im
06-18-2010, 03:29 PM
No, do tell......

Dave

It might have been on the old board, but it was at least back when you could post as a Guest.

Some guy left a long post about how he had bought some roses for his wife ( I think he was married, maybe GF or fiancee). They had this kitten that would either puke or poop or whatever around the house. One night he came home and the cat had eaten the roses he had got for his wife and puked them up on the counter. He backhanded the kitten off the countertop. It fell the wrong way onto a box and broke it's neck, then the wife walks in or somehow finds out and leaves him, saying if he has such a bad temper that he could kill a kitten, she can't stay with him.

I'm just telling it from memory - I'm not really sure it was true, but it was a powerful story. Funny the things that stick in your head...

Robin-535im
06-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Still here. Joined when my daughter was 2. She starts high school in the fall. She wants my E34!

That's a long time! Glad to see she has great taste in cars - tell her if she can learn to swap out thrust arms, she can have the car! :)

KenB
06-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Been around here for 7 years or so, saved me lots...great forum.

Just bought an e39 yesterday, still have the e34 if anyone's interested....$3k OBO.

GJPinAU
06-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Now I think you are confusing UKM5 for fUKem5.

The later was created by a bunch of drunken Aussies at a bbq on the Central Coast.
Its a pity that group parted ways, we had some great times. :(

ryan roopnarine
06-20-2010, 10:01 AM
I do recall anony-mouse posting "this board isn't the oprah winfrey show" after that. Ha. It was the old format.

It might have been on the old board, but it was at least back when you could post as a Guest.

Some guy left a long post about how he had bought some roses for his wife ( I think he was married, maybe GF or fiancee). They had this kitten that would either puke or poop or whatever around the house. One night he came home and the cat had eaten the roses he had got for his wife and puked them up on the counter. He backhanded the kitten off the countertop. It fell the wrong way onto a box and broke it's neck, then the wife walks in or somehow finds out and leaves him, saying if he has such a bad temper that he could kill a kitten, she can't stay with him.

I'm just telling it from memory - I'm not really sure it was true, but it was a powerful story. Funny the things that stick in your head...

Bimmer Nut Ed
06-20-2010, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE]OK, you all got any ideas to revitalize things?

632 Regal
06-20-2010, 11:24 PM
[QUOTE=Bimmer Nut Ed;335039][QUOTE]OK

Bring forth the nuclear being that made things die. I also know this may brush heads with your thinking and will put it on the line. Ban me if you will but the entire site went down with the invisible GAYLE chick.

Case closed. you one ear opened folks let her new laws infiltrate a great community. She was a plant plant and simple. Call it what you will but she single handedly killed this place.

I dont need to post old things that the current members here wont acknowledge. It was freedom of speech with no direct conflicts. I banned the direct conflicts, lets let the forum flow free again!

And if I call you an ******* there has to be a reason and if not an explanation. And if that goes on a whole new thread has been started.

Want me to bring up old posts when this forum used the be my start page and was fun to come to? Most long time members say Im too late with too old ****. But I have to concur that bringing up old stuff relates to the fun we used to have here

Lots of Winfred stuff and my own, we have archaic stuff here that needs to be read even if ancient IMO The archaic stuff

Flame away bros

Bo525i
06-21-2010, 06:16 AM
I check in daily! :)

BadAss95-530i
06-21-2010, 08:09 AM
I'm not sure if this is how you intended it, but what you have done is inspired in me a STRONG desire to see a "GREATEST HITS" of threads!

The good, the bad, the ugly. Sounds like most of the best stuff was before my time and even for the stuff i was around for, i would dig a re-visting. A bump/repost of the most epic of conflicts, momentous occasions, or forum defining threads would be awesome to revisit anew.

mikey535im
06-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Here! (raised hand)Started out in late 2003 here and I still stop in from time to time as my love is just now at 111K miles and I'm having to replace some items here and there. It used to be a ritual for me to gather new post info at least a couple times a day and then I bought a hotrod ('88 Mustang) and the Mustang forums took most of my internet time.
Still love the E34 and still get more than enough of compliments on it. It's a keeper. Sure miss the days of old at Bimmer.info

M!ke

billkirk
06-21-2010, 11:45 PM
You aren't alone... I've gone through the same learning processes re my 1989 525iA in the early years of my 10-year ownership. One of my first major projects was to replace the capacitors in the instrument cluster; about $2.50 worth of parts from the local electronics hobby store. Also new front shocks when the annual registration inspection declared them past their use-by date. Then the heater valve needed attention when the heater refused to turn off in the summer. It has been off the road about a year since overheating and consequently now it feels like it is missing on one or two cylinders, I suspect a blown headgasket so that's the next project when I have some time spare and the weather over the driveway is more pleasant than at present.

My most perplexing problem started after my local independent BMW garage had replaced the headgasket and timing belt several years ago. The car started fine and would drive about fifteen minutes before the engine would die. It would crank and start, but would immediately die after about 1-second. After I'd spend 25 or 30 minutes under the hood checking all the relays and connections it would start and get home again. I eventually discovered a nick in the insulation of the crankshaft position sensor cable near the water pump. I suspect that it had been damaged during the timing belt replacement. What was happening was that the cable was cut half-way through and was OK when the engine was cool; but once the engine got up to full heat and the fan cut in, the airflow from the fan was flexing the sensor cable and it would no longer conduct the signal. BMW Australia had no new cables in stock so I cut the sensor apart and repaired the cable.

Mine is a long-term keeper, like your's; pretty much for the same reasons that you mentioned. Cheers from Sydney, Australia.

Geoff Hoad
06-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Phil only buys BMW's but never sells them, do you Phil? :)

Mas (UK)
06-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Ah ... the good ol' days ...

Am I the only one who in a weird/funny way associates this forum with that fantastic show Cheers ... (go on, remind yourselves with this snippet) ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6HI1pjfHlc&feature=related

Now, that was a great show. And as a bit of Cheers branched off to form Frasier oh-so-many years ago, and some characters came and went along the way, so too is true and can be said of this forum as a community and each of us as individuals playing each our parts; a few key members, some small players, and others mostly hanging in the background having a good time and enjoying the ride.

So, from a quiet Brit, I raise my glass and toast to you all this, 'Cheers to Cheers and cheers to golden memories past, present and those we will make together in the future!'

Cheers,
Mas

John B.
06-23-2010, 11:38 AM
I check in every month or two but haven't really had any problems with either car in ages. Had the 535i for 8 years now & my wife commutes daily with it. I'm enjoying the Touring more these days as I've usually got both English Springers with me.

Jr ///M5
06-23-2010, 04:33 PM

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.....it's a tough crowd.

Phil Sanderson
06-23-2010, 04:33 PM

Hi there Geoff, long time - no see! At the moment I'm going through your dilemna, should I keep it or should I get rid of it. The E30 I gave to my nephew as his first car (now I am his best uncle!). The 540 I recently gave to my brother (it needed a wash). The plan was to keep the E38 735iL, E39 540i (Cheryl loves her car) and the E34 525i. I can't part with my first BMW and I always like to have at least 3 cars (mine, hers and 1 spare).

However, recently the E38 radiator fan exploded and took out the hood, engine tray, power steering, air conditioning, air box, coolant tank, radiator shroud, radiator hoses and lots of little bits and pieces. 5 minutes before it exploded (whilst driving) both my brother and I were leaning over the engine, revving it to see if we could identify the "whooshing" sound coming from the engine and if it had exploded then we would both be dead.

So to answer your question about selling cars, as soon as I have had the hood repaired the E38 will be gone - either sold or traded in on an E39 M5.

regards
Phil

genphreak
06-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Don't worry. Give her this URL and we'll organise it so u can keep it pronto... :D

genphreak
06-24-2010, 07:18 AM
I learned perhaps half this story as I joined around the time that those flamewars were hot. Do you mean you've really been holding back all these years? I'm sure that these days there is a helluva lot less holding anyone back (?)

I can't see u getting banned too fast, I know sometimes we lose a bit in the translation, but u fellas literally built the content of the place so deserve to be granted a ton of license/humility as .info 'elders'. Gayle's not been around for sometime IIRC...

GoldenEagleFan
06-24-2010, 12:51 PM
I know a little off the current train of thought, but wanted to add this is my favorite E34 site and still check in daily (at least every other day). Not an old timer, only been here four years+, but everything I have learned about my car has been through this site. I have had personal help with parts and advice from many members, and what I appreciate is that my car is bone stock and nobody looks down on me (internet figuratively) like I am an idiot for choosing so. I've never understood the fascination with lowering, and bling wheels, neon lites, stiffer this, stiffer that, special exhaust. Maybe in Germany where some of these may help at Autobahn speeds, but in the US, unless you build an all out race car for the track, my belief system says it's a waste of money for street cars, and can actually lead to silly, illegal behaivor that often leads to the death of people who are always too young to die.

Ok rambling, but want to say thanks and hope this can continue.

BTW, I could care less about the political incorrectness and enjoy the diversity of thoughts and positions and the "joyful" interchange among some of the more outspoken members (Jeff?). After a tough day at work I need this as a reminder there are things that really don't matter in the larger scheme of things, and worrying about whether someone is offending you and trying to control thier thought process and belief system is one of these.

Thanks again...

93 525 Paul
06-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Like Eagle, this is my favorite E34 site and I still check in periodically. Definitely no old timer with a join date of 05-29-2004 and not a big timer with total posts of just 125.
Lurked for a long time, then joined and contribute rarely. Not everything I have learned about my car has been through this site, but lots of it has been. My biggest "AHA" moment was comparing price/service from BavAuto vs. AutohausAZ. Wow, big lesson there. Thanks for the personal help with repairs and advice from quite a few members, and what I appreciate is that the advice is offered up without judgment.
The other thing is that the E34 seems to attract a more discriminating type. It's a sedan, incredibly well engineered, pretty darned advanced at the time and it holds up so well.
I guess I missed all the drama, glad to have really.
Best regards.
Paul

CharlesAFerg
06-25-2010, 05:29 PM
I've still got my bimmer.info sticker on my car that I bought from a user on here. Who sold those, anyway?

Paul in NZ
06-26-2010, 06:27 AM
i still have the 535 and still check in....i dont think there was any one event that changed this place,its just the nature of things isnt it?
Enough of this navel gazing respond to my ihka sword post!

philbyil
06-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi Guys !

Well, I am not as active on here as I once was, but still logging on and checking in now and then. The GQ still runs like a champ, looks showroom and is enjoying the Texas roads as much as I ;) ! Can't think of selling it......not many nicer cars out there really plus I am still getting 27mpg at 75 mph cruise speeds!

I still have my bimmer.info cap and window sticker :) !!!

Y'all be safe out there

tdgard
06-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Been a long time since I've checked in. A string of circumstances forced me to get rid of the 5 last spring. Airconditioning and window regulators went out in the same month. Next month I got hit-$4000 check from the others insurance. Decided to trade in and got $2500 for a bashed car with no air. All in all $6500 for a car I drove for 13 years was not a bad deal. Now drive a CPO X5.

bimmer.info sticker went with the car. I remember emailing Bruno asking where the hell everyone went when roadfly cleared out.

632 Regal
07-01-2010, 08:20 PM
http://marginalizedactiondinosaur.net/wordp/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/epiphany.jpg

CharlesAFerg
07-02-2010, 02:08 AM
Hi Guys !

Well, I am not as active on here as I once was, but still logging on and checking in now and then. The GQ still runs like a champ, looks showroom and is enjoying the Texas roads as much as I ;) ! Can't think of selling it......not many nicer cars out there really plus I am still getting 27mpg at 75 mph cruise speeds!

I still have my bimmer.info cap and window sticker :) !!!

Y'all be safe out there

Wow, I wish my M20 gave me that kind of motivation. I hate to say it, but the early M20 e34s kinda stink. The electrical sucks, and it's vastly underpowered, too.

You know what, though, the handling is unsurpassed by most cars today. It's very reliable for it's age, use, and mileage. The build quality is absolutely bulletproof, even though my leather is drying out and cracking all over the place.

Russell
07-03-2010, 05:06 AM
I check in daily! :)
+1
I also check several other e34 sites. All are interesting.

dacoyote
07-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Just signing into post... I do miss the old days... just like I miss my e34

John B.
07-05-2010, 11:11 AM
+1
I also check several other e34 sites. All are interesting.

What other E34 sites are worth checking out?

BigKriss
07-05-2010, 09:29 PM
probably bimmerforums

What other E34 sites are worth checking out?

Adnan
07-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Well said. I'm surprised I've kept it this long as well! :) And that you've kept yours Bill.

Wish I could say I've kept mine but the E90 has replaced the 535i. Still miss the old E34 and still check in to read posts but not nearly as frequently.

Glad to see many of the familiar names still around. Keep the E34's alive!

Regards,
Adnan

Zeuk in Oz
07-08-2010, 02:03 AM
i dont think there was any one event that changed this place,its just the nature of things isnt it?

Yes, time moves on. Still check posts from time to time. Glad so many of you responded to this thread. Still have the M50 525iX (love the rack & pinion steering) and the M20 525i.

What this site did for me, though, is it allowed me to understand ( through guys like Bill R, Winfred, 632 Regal & Shogun ) the engineering behind the experience that is driving a BMW. I now also have 2 E39s and an E53 and am seriously looking at another bimmer. Who could go past this engineering and driving experience ?

No other marque comes close.

Thank you, one and all.

Ross
07-09-2010, 08:30 AM
A bit over four years for me here.
As for the decline: I remember Gayle and some sucking up to her but not THE thread mentioned. Perhaps someone will link me to it, sounds interesting.
My own interest waned greatly when things got VERY off topic in multiple threads on a daily basis.
I don't give a flying **** about anyone's politics, religion or paranoid views as long I'm here. When it stops being a car forum is when I stop participating.
Since we are so heavily E34 biased the demographic is also going to change with the current crop of owners. I no longer own one but still check in and enjoy the group on the whole. Hopefully I've made some contribution as well.

Elekta
07-20-2010, 08:26 PM
In,

Can't remember my old nick when I had the 530iT.

I have a weird link to the gallery on bimmer.info that has pics I can access anywhere else but this beat up old vaio I have at my office and save the link in favorites.

It had a pic of the back of my wagon full of shotgun shells, beer cans and a bunch of dove I had just shot.

Cheers

Geoff in Austin

now elekta

Mendozart
07-21-2010, 11:57 AM
There's still alot of good info here. I noticed that there isn't a whole lot of activity though, not like the good old days.

31Hertz
07-25-2010, 02:07 PM
I just posted with a problem after nearly two years of inactivity.
I have a child, and I would say that being a father takes up a good 85% of my free time when I am not at work... As she gets older, perhaps I will have a more active interest in public forums in general. This is the ONLY forum I have felt compelled to join or make my presence known because of the wide range of personalities and the feeling of a real "forum" where discussion was a two-way street (I did wind up joining bigcoupe.com). As it is; I have so many other interests that demand time and attention (plus money being tight); vehicle maintenance has become a chore and a stressor rather than a passion. --But I will say this: If any one factor has contributed to my ability to turn a wrench and have the confidence to jump into a job--it has been this website. I may be mechanically inclined, but it takes a whole lot of knowledge to do something properly...And that is what this site is--a library of knowledge regarding a car that most of us might never have believed would keep us interested for as long as it has.
I have never been very active at this site, but I feel that if I can't add to a conversation; then I should probably stay out. So please accept my apology for not being able to help, even when I really wanted to.:):):)

Rick L
07-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Looks like old names are still present… Hope everyone is doing well. :)

SharkmanBMW
07-26-2011, 11:39 PM
This is one of the best communities I have come across, quality of content is amazing.
I did move to a newer model but still miss my 540 and this site!
Glad to see some names I remember, hope all those still with their e34 are having a blast :)

632 Regal
07-28-2011, 09:11 AM
holy crap, along comes the Sharkman!!!

skr
08-01-2011, 04:20 PM
hello everyone, i'm probably one of the few diesel e34 owners around here... still have my e34, sill drive it allmost daily and got no intention to sell it :) unfortunately got a to-do list a mile long, as the car is mostly getting maitanance when somehing breaks. but eventualy it gets done. anyway been here for some years and realy enjoyed this forum, aspecialy the .info days... still check it from time to time but got much less time on my hands now. also a '86 nissan patrol 3.3d :)

632 Regal
08-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Yours truly, Don't know if this will embed but here goes anyways...

http://www.youtube.com/user/juniortore1#p/u/0/1n-QeiM_CRw

ok you might need to click it instead.

Paul in NZ
08-05-2011, 10:32 PM
i sold the 535 at the end of last year.I still come here though.I would never had bought it without this forum.

Rus
08-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Me and my 535i are still here periodically. I find bits of info here that cannot be found in other places. Now I'm looking for a touring to take the place of my newer daily driver. :)

Bruno
08-08-2011, 07:02 AM
It is funny how many E34 owners are embracing the touring, it is a great car with it's own quirks. After selling my E34, I am glad to have found a Touring, allowed me to get back in the game. With turbo kits now being affordable, it is even more fun.

But I do agree that this forum lost it's soul. Some of us even moved to bimmerfum where the spirit of the E34 "gang" is still alive.

h2oyo
08-21-2011, 01:04 PM
I do understand what your saying, I have been a part of this community since 2008. I also read and re-read asked many questions and got many very good and helpful info. I still drive my e34 daily and love it to death. I would like to see the community move back to a enthusiast club. Years ago owned a 1976 2002tii. I loved that car so, I was young and had a hankering for a Porsche 911. Well I sold it and bought me one. That was the worst thing i ever did. I have regretted that move since the day I watched it drive away. I told myself I would get another BMW and back then the 540's and such hadnt come out yet. later on 3 kids later i found my car a 1995 BMW 540i. It is black on black with sport seats and suspension. It has the 6 speed and all the fun stuff. Its not an M-Sport but I love it. I wouldnt trade or sell it for anything. Its paid for fun to drive and best of all its a BMW.
Johan

Cheers

MC Hammered
09-14-2011, 08:05 PM
I recently sold my e30 (which I miss quite a bit) to chase after a dream of owning an M5 so I am new to the e34 world. I have done lots of digging for information and many times has brought me to this place.

Bimmerforums is more active but I can see that there is a difference in users on this site, so while the traffic may be less the 'signal to noise' ratio is much higher.

I hope to be able to contribute to e34 ownership as I go through my restoration of my car and I thank all of you in advance so putting together the knowledge base to make the job a lot less painful.

nirvana19
05-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Checking back in on this thread after some time, it's great to see that so many people have responded over time and are still around. My E34 gets driven just a few hundred miles a year because its geographically nowhere near where I am (and it wouldn't be practical to move it closer), but it still gets a lot of attention and maintenance when I'm around. Some bushing or mount has invariably failed every year I come around to it, but I always fix whatever is broken before I leave. This is one car that I simply will never sell.

Ferrett 1962
05-22-2012, 04:57 AM
I have only been a member for about a year but i have learned a lot about my 525 in this time but what I have noticed is some responses from old members is a note of annoyance with new members when they ask questions about topics that were covered years ago I know some of you think they have had enough of these things but think new members are just discovering their wonderfull e34's and if you know the answer just give it to them why snap and say just do a search I have done that and sometimes the search does not give the answer I am looking for and at least it keeps the forum flowing.

John B.
05-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Even more annoying is having to read a post written by someone too lazy to punctuate. Don't they use periods down under??

Ferrett 1962
05-23-2012, 04:32 AM
Gee I am so sorry John the combination of late night and half a bottle of bourbon seem to have made me forget I was writing a formal letter rather than just having a rant on an internet forum. I will be more careful in future, but it seem you were able to read what I said and that is the main point. Most topics have been covered in previous posts at some time and I think the members for the most part are great here, but as I stated a search does not answer all questions unless you know the exact words to enter so all I was saying is if you know the answer or where to find it don't just snap at new members and if all you can come up with is do a search then don't answer at all. I have some work to do on my car soon and despite searches in many ways I have not found the complete information I need I will ask questions and I hope someone has the answers or knows where to find them. Sorry to all for another rant.......

632 Regal
05-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Ain'tnothinglike that dude thatwouldn't usehis space bar...

genphreak
06-09-2012, 08:47 PM
That was Greg - he lives near me in Sydney, Australia- he had a wild black 540 which he sold on. The present owner has tried to sell it again online recently. I did some pvc cut-ones at some point, but it was after the heyday and I guess no-one ever liked 'em very much.

ncbeachbum
06-14-2012, 06:11 AM
I joined in '02 when I bought my 94 525. Saw it on a Monday, spent most of Tuesday reading about the cars on this site, drove it Wednesday, signed for it on Thursday.

The car has been great. Some issues at 160k....radiator split out in BFE (that was fun). Had an exhaust leak that was a nightmare, getting the header off took a lot of work, I ended up having my indy do it and he was cussing up a storm. Approaching 226k now and not too many issues. I need a VC gasket as it seeps a bit and one of my power steering hoses is damp once in a while but nothing huge.

I was going to replace it but whenever i look around I decide that (a) I don't want another payment, (b) I love this car and (c) my mechanic told me to avoid the newer ones. My daughter wants the car when she starts to drive in 3 years. Probably getting a 4Runner but will keep the E around.

Sometime soon I need to clay the car then detail the hell out of it.

Bruno
06-14-2012, 06:18 AM
my mechanic told me to avoid the newer ones.

That's what I say to my customers also so I don't have to invest in new diagnostic equipment haahaha.

ncbeachbum
06-14-2012, 06:32 AM
That's what I say to my customers also so I don't have to invest in new diagnostic equipment haahaha.

I was in there a few weeks ago and there was an 06 5 on the rack. He said that car was in the air so much the owner should register it as a plane vs a car. :D Then he mumbled something derogatory about idrive. :D No Bangle rant though.

Bruno
06-14-2012, 06:44 AM
I find it easier to work on E30, E34, E39... I am working on an X3 right now and the transfer case and actuator has to be replaced, BMW wanted 5000 Cdn for the parts here, customer isn't impressed by the brand anymore, the interior feels plastic and the seats aren't even leather...
Told him to sell it and get a clean E34 :-)

Newer BMWs, all the electronic modules are coded and talks to one another. You need to spend hours on the BMW software to figure it out... Good thing the DIS has been cracked.

bimmer nut
06-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Maybe I should rename it back to bimmer.info and everything will get back to those old days, eh?

Hey, if anyone got any ideas to revitalize the board, I'm all ears!

ScottyWM
06-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Well Ed, it'd liven up if BMW started making E34's again! crazy I'd be all over that, although I have started looking at the E46 wagons...

It just seems that most of us have fixed everything at least once or twice now. I bookmark Shogun's stuff 'just in case', but it seems like the car just needs regular maintenance now. I always said to myself that if the double-sunroof ever broke, that's when I'd get rid of the car. So far (knock on wood) it still works like new!