PDA

View Full Version : Gas cap seal? *Leaks down the side of the car when driving/turning hard*

CharlesAFerg
06-07-2010, 02:28 PM
So, as the title states, I have a leak whenever I drive hard. Could my gas cap seal be bad? Any thoughts?

632 Regal
06-13-2010, 11:32 PM
just saw this, get a new cap man, they have a breather to allow air to enter but not to exit. the fumes that buildup go through the canister into the intake after being drawn through carbon so it isn't raw vapors. your gas cap is in retirement and refuses to work, do the dignified thing and replace the old soldier to a new robust cap that is fresh to do the job he swore to do.

BennyM
06-14-2010, 06:19 PM
just saw this, get a new cap man, they have a breather to allow air to enter but not to exit. the fumes that buildup go through the canister into the intake after being drawn through carbon so it isn't raw vapors. your gas cap is in retirement and refuses to work, do the dignified thing and replace the old soldier to a new robust cap that is fresh to do the job he swore to do.

What Regal said also applies to Oil caps. i replaced mine recently and it got rid of a slight hunting idle when cold.

sal_park
06-15-2010, 05:20 AM
So, as the title states, I have a leak whenever I drive hard. Could my gas cap seal be bad? Any thoughts?

I'd check the breather / vent pipe work around the tank below the filler cap. If you take off the rear bumper it's all very visible. Mine was leaking in a similar way to your's:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3459/3357057961_890419fbc9_o.jpg

BTW, if you need to replace a pipe, and depending on what pipe it is you may need to a) lower the tank 'a bit' and b) have the tank less than 1/3 full.

hth

sal

genphreak
06-15-2010, 05:27 AM
Hey Sal, thanks for the salient picture (mental note taken!)... sometimes I've wondered what the 'smell' is on the Touring, but have never found a wet patch underneath along the fuel line.

That sucka looks like a decent candidate!

Cheers!

genphreak
06-15-2010, 05:30 AM
I have bought new oil cap seals from BMAparts.com for a dollar or two... before, I don't know os a breather in them but a leak can cause unwanted crankcase ventilation. Check that the spring steel tabs hold it tight too. Might well be worth buying new, I dunno. Will check on the weekend with a spare M30 rocker cover I have-- if I can get it to leak I'll post to let everyone know how.

sal_park
06-15-2010, 05:38 AM
Hey Sal, thanks for the salient picture (mental note taken!)... sometimes I've wondered what the 'smell' is on the Touring, but have never found a wet patch underneath along the fuel line.

That sucka looks like a decent candidate!

Cheers!

Here's the other end of that rusted pipe - it terminates right under the centre of the spare wheel well. I know it doesn't look like it, but there was enough slack in the pipes going to the tank (disconnected electrics as it was a no-brainer) to lower it 'a-bit' onto my jack so I could replace it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3570/3357811424_44a3d6ab85_o.jpg