PDA

View Full Version : Does slushbox refer to the smooth shifting automatics?

Unregistered
06-13-2004, 09:01 PM
My 6cyl 525 auto feels smooth when I gun it. If I accelerate slow I can feels the shifting....is this what you guys refer to as a 'slushbox'?

winfred
06-13-2004, 09:08 PM
it's a general term for a automatic

DueyT
06-13-2004, 09:44 PM
Unregistered, it's a bit of a derogatory term for an auto...usually used by folks who prefer manuals, or those with autos who can be frustrated with either the lack of precision control or the mushiness of the tranny (usually older trannies, newer ones are much improved.)

Interestingly, an auto is made to feel "smooth" by making one internal clutch "work" against another during the shift...thus giving a "silky smooth" transition from one gear to the next. The problem is, this internal stress makes lots of heat and really puts a strain on the transmission's components. They're designed to take it, but maintenance and servicing is VERY important for an automatic tranny....fluid and filters regularly at recommended intervals is a MUST!

An auto tranny that had been modified to reduce or eliminate the shift overlap is not nearly as smooth as its normal state. I have a manual valve-body on my '73 440 Charger's transmission and I get more than a healthy kick in the butt and a loud chirp from the rear tires with both the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift. There is very little overlap of the band clutches...the driveline takes up the shock as the engine RPM is pulled down by the next gear. Now you have to keep an eye on all your u-joints and driveline components!

Luckily I very much enjoy shifting my 540's Getrag 6-shooter! :D :D :D