PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a popping cracking seat

Kibokojoe
05-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Finally read enough about repairing a loose seat and decided to tackle it myself.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj225/kibokojoe/seatmotorrepair.jpg

1. Move seat forward enough to remove the torx bolts.
2. Flatten out seat and back as much as possible
3. Lift seat from head rest, rocking it forward so that it clears the front cleats. Once the seat is free turn it on its side and disconnect electric connector from bottom of seat
3. remove torx screws on side panel with the seat restraining belt
4. Remove plastic pegs
5. Remove torx bolt holding seat belt restraint
6. Now you can either remove the seat or just flip it on its back in place.
7. Loosen nuts on each seat motor.
8. Push on motor (purple arrows) until you remove the slack between the motor gear and the rail.
9. Tighten motor nuts

Reassemble.
Took me about 20 minutes and the popping is gone
Note: You don't have to remove the rail from the seat :) I just illustrated that way so you could see the orientation. Also motors have been illustrated away from the rail for clarity. Plastic pegs were illustrated on the far side panel so you could see them, actually you need only remove the plastic pegs that are on the side with the seat belt restraint.

BennyM
05-25-2010, 11:35 PM
This is extremely helpful. Thanks, Kibokojoe.

Russell
05-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Very well presented. Think I will take a stab at it after a few other small tasks. Does this address the seat rocking as well?

My driver's side rocks and the passenger side seems to rattle when it rocks. However, the first aid kit even though properly mounted could be rattling.

Tiger
05-26-2010, 09:10 AM
Rocking question too... wondering.

Kibokojoe
05-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Yes this addresses both the cracking and rocking issue. I guess over the years the gears wear and this wear allows the the motor gears to wobble around in the rail. Once you perform this procedure and you know where the motors and nuts are you can adjust the motors without removing the seat. I would just remove the two back torx bolts holding the rail to the floor. Then block the back of the seat up and leave the front of the rails in the cleats. I would adjust the back of the seat so that it fits over the steering wheel then block it with a 2x4.

Kibokojoe
05-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks

Kibokojoe
05-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Yeap takes care of the rocking seat as well

BigKriss
05-28-2010, 07:17 AM
great diagram and writeup - thanks

Kibokojoe
05-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Your welcome