PDA

View Full Version : Where to purchase a rebuilt head

Kibokojoe
05-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Looking to replace my sons 91 735i m30 head, question is where to purchase it? I want to go ahead and replace from the head up, cam and so forth

Jeff N.
05-29-2010, 09:32 PM
I'd buy a used one and then have it locally rebuilt. Likely a better option than trying to find a remanufactured head.

Is there a reason you can't have the current one rebuilt?

Tiger
05-30-2010, 08:47 AM
http://www.metricmechanic.com/

Call them up.

Bruno
05-31-2010, 05:33 AM
I'd buy a used one and then have it locally rebuilt. Likely a better option than trying to find a remanufactured head.

Is there a reason you can't have the current one rebuilt?

I agree with Jeff, build a relationship with a local rebuilder and you will know that you have some good work done on the head.

I buy used engine for the race car and get my local rebuilder to rebuild them for me, I bring my own parts and tell him the spec I want on the engine.

Expect to pay roughly 300 - 500 for a cylinder head rebuild

Scott C
05-31-2010, 08:01 AM
If you can't find a local rebuilder - this may be an option for you. This was the company I was planning on using if I found a crack in mine... I can NOT speak to their reliability, etc.

http://www.cylinder-heads.com/products.cfm?startrow=1&brandid=33&catid=27

Robin-535im
05-31-2010, 12:54 PM
I have one on my car from Bavarian Engine Exchange. The intake and exhaust ports are CNC machined and look very sweet - maybe you can source a clean head from them as an option. I agree with the others to get a head and have it rebuilt locally, ask around at the good indy shops to get a feel for who in your area does good machine work and go visit with some of the candidate shops. Some clearly know their stuff, others are just going through the motions.

If you can swing it, consider a Schrick 284 cam... nice addition if you have the money, I think it was a few hundred bucks, $300 maybe?

I did a rebuild a few years back, new 284 cam, 7 of 12 new valves, new valve guides, new valve springs, new rocker arms & shafts, new eccentrics. I think I spent just under $2000 total, including ~$150 at the machine shop to have the head cleaned up flat, guides put in, and valves lapped to the seats. Kind of pricey... but oh boy did it wake up the top end!

blackbird80k
06-26-2010, 05:34 PM
I couldn't agree more, Bavarian Auto Recyclers. I bought a complete (used) long block for my 530I and just recently a dual mass balance flywheel (used) and new clutch.

Excellent service (to Canada), and great warranty on used parts.

CharlesAFerg
07-02-2010, 01:44 PM
I have one on my car from Bavarian Engine Exchange. The intake and exhaust ports are CNC machined and look very sweet - maybe you can source a clean head from them as an option. I agree with the others to get a head and have it rebuilt locally, ask around at the good indy shops to get a feel for who in your area does good machine work and go visit with some of the candidate shops. Some clearly know their stuff, others are just going through the motions.

If you can swing it, consider a Schrick 284 cam... nice addition if you have the money, I think it was a few hundred bucks, $300 maybe?

I did a rebuild a few years back, new 284 cam, 7 of 12 new valves, new valve guides, new valve springs, new rocker arms & shafts, new eccentrics. I think I spent just under $2000 total, including ~$150 at the machine shop to have the head cleaned up flat, guides put in, and valves lapped to the seats. Kind of pricey... but oh boy did it wake up the top end!

Do you have a thread about this? I'd be interested in more information.