PDA

View Full Version : Eibach springs question...

Rick L
05-20-2010, 09:00 PM
I was told recently that my rear Eibach springs are on upside down. One side of the spring, coils are more compressed than the other side. When I installed the rears, I installed it with compressed coil side down. I’ve been told the compressed side should be up or top. Is this true? I installed them in 2004 and if I remember correctly, I installed the springs so the stamped text, part number, and logo shows upright. If I installed the springs with compressed side up, then the stamped text, part number, and logo would be upside down so I would think this was the correct way… Or does it even matter which way it goes on?

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-21-2010, 01:02 PM
logo/text upright...thats the way I've always done it.

if the height seems off, check the seating onto the spring pads to see if the coil is seated right

ArnZ!
05-21-2010, 11:42 PM
With progressive springs the tighter coils should be up the top (yes the brand name was upside down). Though i've lowered a car the other way with no problems. So i reckon it doesn't matter, aslong as both sides are the same ofcoarse.

Tiger
05-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Usually, one end of the spring will just be a raw spring coil... the other end will be flat... the flat side is up... and the raw spring coil end is down and must match the indent on the shoe/strut.

I can't remember the E34 rear springs... I know the front is just like above statement.

632 Regal
05-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Rick your all upside down, the only reason that makes any sense is to put the tighter end towards the body is to reduce unsprung weight. You will never ever be able to tell the difference in ride so rest easy.

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-24-2010, 04:16 PM
huh?

I think both sides were raw, non flat ends

Tiger
05-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Maybe the BMW's are raw both end... been a long time since I saw one... Perhaps strut springs are raw both end...

The real spring... not strut type are flat one end and raw other end.

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Did this a while back

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-discussion/145753-spending-week-my-mistress-2.html#post1671716

Tiger
05-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Cant see clear picture of the springs...

I recently did Mercedes lowering springs... all flat on one end and raw coil on other end.

Tiger
05-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Coming to think of this... all coils has to be flat on one end... meaning it can stand up by itself upright... because that's the side where it has to rest flat on the upper strut mount or spring perch.

The other end... raw... would be at an angle... where it would lean on one side or flop over if you tried to stand it up.

Then there are special applications where it has pretty much flat both side.

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Coming to think of this... all coils has to be flat on one end... meaning it can stand up by itself upright... because that's the side where it has to rest flat on the upper strut mount or spring perch.

The other end... raw... would be at an angle... where it would lean on one side or flop over if you tried to stand it up.

Then there are special applications where it has pretty much flat both side.

e34s have spring perchs and spring pads to accept the raw coil ends.

take a look a the last picture in the M5 thread, the one with the coils still in the box