PDA

View Full Version : cigarette lighter

allerston
05-17-2010, 03:41 PM
hi all
let me get to the point i cannot get power from the cigarette lighter to power my gps and its not the fuse i checked it time and time again but theres still no power the cigarette lighter is removed from the console and i'm using a voltmeter to test for current but the reading i'm getting is 0.16 v is there some other fuse somewhere else in the car.
thanks

BMWDriver
05-17-2010, 07:25 PM
If it was a blown fuse, you should get 0 V. You might test the theory by removing the fuse. More likely it's a bad wire. Try a different ground than the one of the lighter, like touch bare metal with the negative pole of your meter. You should get the same result, but if you get 12-14V, then you know it's the ground wire that's at fault. If not, the positive wire could be corroded somewhere (same goes for negative). Check also to see that you get 12-14V at the fuse itself. That could eliminate some things.

And also, it's possible the lighter is itself corroded, needs cleaning, bad or else. It's worth it to remove it and test at the wires because some of the above could apply to the lighter being at fault.

allerston
05-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Its not a blown fuse and i have tryed and ground it on metal stil not 12v cannot b the socket because i removed it and im testing it at the 2 wires that contect the lighter if i test at the fuse box there is 12v there

whiskychaser
05-18-2010, 03:28 AM
Have you got continuity between fuse 26 and the lighter live?

allerston
05-18-2010, 04:26 AM
No continuity at the ligher end but i got continuity at fuse 26 its like somewere along the line the wire is cut

allerston
05-18-2010, 04:42 AM
No continuity at the lighter live wire the reading im get now is 0.12

sal_park
05-18-2010, 05:18 AM
No continuity at the lighter live wire the reading im get now is 0.12

Hi,

are you measuring volt, amps or resistance ? It sounds like resistance ( ohms ) to me.

Also, do you know that your multi-meter/volt-meter works ? It may be worth checking it - e.g what dose it show when connected to the battery ?

Sal.

allerston
05-18-2010, 06:40 AM
[QUOTE=sal_park;334493]Hi,

im measuring in volts and yes its works fine its pretty new.battery test 11.59v and on idle 12.45v but even if i use a test light no luck

sal_park
05-18-2010, 07:35 AM
[QUOTE=sal_park;334493]Hi,

im measuring in volts and yes its works fine its pretty new.battery test 11.59v and on idle 12.45v but even if i use a test light no luck

Hi,

1) ok, so measure from the tip of the lighter socket to an earth point somewhere other than the lighter (take out the rear seat, there will be some under there.

2)Then measure from the earth in the lighter socket to the +12v terminal of the battery.

(Be careful to get these the right way around)

If 1) works (12v reading) and 2) does not then it's a bad earth connection

if 2) works (12v reading) and 1) does not then it's a bad power supply connection.

If neither work then I suspect the cable from the lighter socket is broken.

allerston
05-18-2010, 08:06 AM
Ok thanks i wil try what u had suggested is there away to rewire the lighter

whiskychaser
05-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Ok thanks i wil try what u had suggested is there away to rewire the lighter
IIRC thats a 30amp circuit so you just need the correct thickness of wire from fuse 26. That said I'd want to know wtf happened to the original wire(s). On mine, a PO must have broken them off the lighter body and left them live behind the panel:(