PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone check carbon deposits with a boroscope?

Mordan
05-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Hello,

In the past, 2 times I got engine cylinder header problems on my M20, I saw the combustion chambers pretty well :) and each time, they were loaded with carbon deposits. Valves and pistons.

Would leaking injectors increase carbon deposits in the combustion chamber?

sneekens
05-14-2010, 04:06 AM
it may be possible that you are running rich. But as maintenance, you can use valve or injector cleaners (pour in your gas tank) and put auto rx to you oil... give your car an exercise too...

whiskychaser
05-14-2010, 04:52 AM
Using a boroscope sounds like a great idea. I thought they were very expensive? Plugs should give a good indication if its running rich or you have leaking injectors as they would be sooty? Worn valve guides, valve stem oil seals or piston rings could be the culprit. Using much oil or any blue smoke when you fire up or on over-run?

ryan roopnarine
05-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Using a boroscope sounds like a great idea. I thought they were very expensive? Plugs should give a good indication if its running rich or you have leaking injectors as they would be sooty? Worn valve guides, valve stem oil seals or piston rings could be the culprit. Using much oil or any blue smoke when you fire up or on over-run?

I know that the conversation is currently between two "europeans", you and mordan, buuuttt....

cue "America, F*ck yeah" from team america, world police,
we lead the world in buying cheap chinese crap of questionable durability

http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-inspection-camera-with-24-inch-color-lcd-monitor-66550.html

And it isn't 159, either. I got a coupon for it in the mail a week ago that I just threw away, I think it is closer to the 100$-130 range with the flyer.
So if you had habitual carbon problems with various vehicles, you could buy one of these setups for way less than a headgasket and be proactive.

whiskychaser
05-14-2010, 09:39 AM
When I had a hard to find leak, my brother took apart a web cam and taped it to the end of a piece of wire. We could see the results full screen on my laptop. I dont think the lens would fit down a plug hole though:)
Checked on ebay.uk and prices for boroscopes are £200-£550. Its about time those Harbour Freight guys opened up here.
My thanks to 'Team America'. Call any time:D

Tiger
05-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Boroscope is now under $100 on ebay... I think.

Tiger
05-14-2010, 10:39 AM
When is the last time you had your timing belt changed (if you have any). Timing chain stretches also so that would affect the carbon buildup. Leaky injector can cause carbon buildup also as there is too much fuel.

Try using Lubro Moly Venti Sauber to clean your carbon... let it suck through the vacuum on intake manifold... control the flow until it gets to the end and let it all out that the engine dies on the last drop... or close to it... to completely soak the valves and cylinder carbon.

You do this when engine is hot and let soak for an hour before you restart... This is what I read long ago... New stuff is similar like seafoam... you let it through the vacuum to do the same job. Yes, it will smoke like hell.

Ross
05-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Water introduced through a vacuum line will remove carbon, so will an "Italian Tune-Up".