PDA

View Full Version : Wayyyyy OT: But Could Really Use the Help! =)

BMW4LIFE
05-07-2010, 04:01 AM
So my buddy just purchased a pizza place here in California and wants to create a menu that many will love but only knows the combination(s) he likes plus a few more but wants to reach out to the public with more creations. So I am here to ask for some info that would really help him.

The question is basically what pizza topping combination do you like?

Here is mine;

Pepperoni, Mushrooms and Pineapple on Red Sauce

and

Mushrooms, Chicken, Garlic, Artichokes, and Tomato on White Sauce

I really appreciate this everyone!!!! =D

bsell
05-07-2010, 05:49 AM
What part of the state?

What's his target clientel?

From my years in Japan, tuna and corn, seafood, and canadian bacon pizzas seemed to be big sellers (@ $35/pie!)

Myself, I'm dying for a pie out of an old fashioned oven. You know, thin crust with little burn marks on the bottom and just enough cheese so you know its there. Throw on some pepperoni and call it good!

I've had a buffalo chicken that hit the spot. Instead of tomato sauce, use hot wing sauce, cheese as usual with crumbled grilled chicken on top. That brought a nice sweat to my brow...

In the end, it all depends which end of the market he's chasing. We need more info to help...

Ross
05-07-2010, 07:00 AM
Pineapple?, whitesauce? sheesh.
No offense intended but to be different in the land of different a traditional pie could be the answer.
New York or Chicago style and don't tart 'em up with tofu.

whiskychaser
05-07-2010, 07:49 AM
a traditional pie could be the answer.

+1
I dont even like pizza so an alternative fayre would be nice.
And you could call the place Pizza Pie ...

BMW4LIFE
05-07-2010, 03:01 PM
What part of the state?

What's his target clientel?

From my years in Japan, tuna and corn, seafood, and canadian bacon pizzas seemed to be big sellers (@ $35/pie!)

Myself, I'm dying for a pie out of an old fashioned oven. You know, thin crust with little burn marks on the bottom and just enough cheese so you know its there. Throw on some pepperoni and call it good!

I've had a buffalo chicken that hit the spot. Instead of tomato sauce, use hot wing sauce, cheese as usual with crumbled grilled chicken on top. That brought a nice sweat to my brow...

In the end, it all depends which end of the market he's chasing. We need more info to help...

The shop is located in the central coast of california where there is a high population in hispanics

So I am not sure if seafood will be in high demand here =/

but the things that are good about his place is that his oven is a traditional BRICK oven instead of a cheap electric oven that makes the pizza taste like mosh!

As far as the toppings go...I know some like the traditional while others like the new hype fruits on pizza so that is why I ask the question...so I can find a trend

but I know he will have both kinds of pizza (traditional and trendy)

Tiger
05-07-2010, 03:27 PM
There is a great show on Travel channel... do a search on Pizza... It showed all the best pizzaria in USA and shows why... but no secret revealed though.

BMW4LIFE
05-07-2010, 03:34 PM
There is a great show on Travel channel... do a search on Pizza... It showed all the best pizzaria in USA and shows why... but no secret revealed though.

oooo great idea Tiger...thanks a lot! :D

M20Turbo
05-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Here is a link to a local Pizza Place "Dion's" http://www.dionspizza.com/menu/pizza.htm

*Dion's Special includes: Pepperoni, Mushrooms, Italian Sausage, Smoked Ham, Ground Beef, Black Olives, Red Onions & Green Chile

Green Chile is a must, no matter what else add, my favorite is: Pepperoni, mushrooms & Green Chile.

BMWDriver
05-07-2010, 08:20 PM
A place I used to go to would let you choose every single of your ingredients, but still suggest combinations. The cook would assemble the pizza right in front of you, and then put the thing into the oven behind him. You waited a few minutes on the spot, then you went your way with your tray and piz'. Thin crusts so it would not take forever.

It was not a pizza joint, it was a place with many different counters with all kinds of meals served in that fashion. The place closed a while back, citing expensive rent, but I always liked their pizza. I often went. The pancakes were great too.

I take it organic is popular in California.

My own pizza I make with organic spelt flour (adding only water), strained tomatoes, some vegetables (peppers, brown mushrooms, or king oyster mushrooms, or portobello, sometimes shitake mushrooms, zucchini, asparagus...) mozzarella, topped off with spice, sometimes fresh oregano or tarragon. 20 minutes in the oven, and what a marvel!

Tiger
05-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Pizza Paradise... Travel Channel... Saturday 1PM... record it... two more showings I think the next one is Monday....

Jehu
05-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Pineapple,Garlic, Black Olives,Ricotta Cheese,Goat Cheese,Pine Nuts,Basil Pesto are all additions I would desire... offering a list of possible "Extras" I think on top of either Red or White Sauce is desireable.. also add some Chicken..

I remember a Pizza Place in Santa Cruz when I lived there in the 1980's that had some kind of Cashew Sauce that was incredible... they had all kinds of *Healthy* ideas...baked Tofu? I wish I remembered the name circa 1983-7. it was on River St right up from Scribner Park near the Clock Tower...

Kibokojoe
05-08-2010, 07:02 AM
The best pizza in our area is cooked in a stone oven. Before they brought out the pizza they would serve you warm crusty bread that you could dip in olive oil and parmesan cheese. It is awesome. As far as topping you name it and they would put it on the pizza, but cooked in a stone oven made it out of this world.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup bertolli pure olive oil
crushed black pepper to taste
parmesan cheese

Directions:
pour olive oil on flat plate, crush black pepper on top
grind parmesan cheese on top

Dip HOT bread into olive oil mixture on plate and
ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SnakeyesTx
05-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Honestly, the best idea is to experiment after-hours and make a small one and taste test it yourselves. Sometimes putting the idea down on paper sounds good, but tastes aweful, and vice versa.

Maybe you could bring back old ideas that died off and bring back some popularity to them. I don't remember this, but my dad used to tell me about this one place near us that used to hide anchovies under the ham on their pizza. He hated it, but he said I ate it like crazy, and I was sub-4 or 5 years old at the time. No one in my area does anchovies any more... but you get idea (things that might have went out of fashion but could make a comeback somewhere to the right crowd).

BMW4LIFE
05-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Honestly, the best idea is to experiment after-hours and make a small one and taste test it yourselves. Sometimes putting the idea down on paper sounds good, but tastes aweful, and vice versa.

Maybe you could bring back old ideas that died off and bring back some popularity to them. I don't remember this, but my dad used to tell me about this one place near us that used to hide anchovies under the ham on their pizza. He hated it, but he said I ate it like crazy, and I was sub-4 or 5 years old at the time. No one in my area does anchovies any more... but you get idea (things that might have went out of fashion but could make a comeback somewhere to the right crowd).

Yea I see what your saying...the only thing is that I could love it but everyone could hate it...but if I ask you guys (and another forum) and see that there is a trend in one particular combo over others I can see that hey this is a really good combo

as far as the anchovies go...I will try it but I dont think he will be carrying that topping

But on the other hand I want to experiment with nut and fruit on pizza...

we'll see what happens...At this rate that I am moving I might as well become a partner or get a cut! haha

but I do appreciate all the input from everyone... =)

You guys truly rock both in the gear world and the food one!!!

MBXB
05-11-2010, 12:09 AM
To me, pizza starts with the crust whether thick or thin. If you guys decide to do the experimental focus group thing start with the crust.

repenttokyo
05-11-2010, 12:24 AM
wait - he bought a pizza place but doesn't know what pizzas he wants to serve?

BMW4LIFE
05-11-2010, 04:24 PM
wait - he bought a pizza place but doesn't know what pizzas he wants to serve?

@MBXB he is going to start with a thin and thick crust...and then when business picks up might experiment with different crusts (wheat, etc)

@Repen - he has his menu already but would like to make it a greater variety that features others favorites...

your opinions will help he see a trend of favorite combinations he might have never thought about

ahlem
05-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Since I lived in Chicago for 20 years including college I can claim to be a pizza expert. Get a menu from Lou Malnati's or Giordanos and see what they offer. Leave the cheap pizza to the chain stores.

leicesterboy15
05-13-2010, 03:10 PM
check out this website for something different:

https://www.hellpizza.co.uk/

I'm not sure I rate all the combinations but the marketing is definitely different and it seems to work.

Personally I prefer peperoni and jalapenos, theres a great one at dominos:
peperoni, jalapenos, tandori chicken, sweetcorn & herbs with a BBQ sauce base, sounds bad, tastes amazing :)

ILoveMPower
06-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Considering I worked at a pizza joint for some time... I figured I would chime in. Some of the popular "specialty" pizzas we made:

- BBQ Chicken: bbq sauce as the base no red sauce, also good to add onions and/or bacon
- Chili pizza: Use (beanless) chili as the sauce base, add some chedder in addition to the mozzarella
- Another nice one was use red sauce base, then for toppings tomatoes, basil, onions and bacon as well as some nice sized ricotta chunks

I can give more help if needed but at the moment you're making me damn hungry!! lol