PDA

View Full Version : S85 E34 Conversion Help!

dwaynos
05-04-2010, 06:56 AM
I have been looking into grafting a V10 S85 into my e34 but i would like to know if there is a bmw gearbox that would mount directly to the S85 without any mods?
Thanks in advance

genphreak
05-04-2010, 09:05 AM
The 6 speed or SMG it comes with. Then you have to mate a tailshaft (probably cusomtise one from a 540i). For that matter, you'll need an M5 or 540i drivetrain, I'd suggest a subframe inc large case diff and bigger brakes from a 540i. Add the 540i front brakes and booster/master cylinder from a 525, 530, 535, 730, 735, 540 or 740 also. You'll need a custom ECU or to know a hell of a lot about Motrinic & BMW.

dwaynos
05-04-2010, 12:53 PM
The 6 speed or SMG it comes with. Then you have to mate a tailshaft (probably cusomtise one from a 540i). For that matter, you'll need an M5 or 540i drivetrain, I'd suggest a subframe inc large case diff and bigger brakes from a 540i. Add the 540i front brakes and booster/master cylinder from a 525, 530, 535, 730, 735, 540 or 740 also. You'll need a custom ECU or to know a hell of a lot about Motrinic & BMW.

i didn't want to use the smg because i already know its going to be a bitch getting the engine running without the worry of the gearbox too, did they do a complete manual on the e60? I thought about purchasing a 540i 6 speed instead of using the 520i, i was also hoping that an e39 m5 gearbox wouldnt be far off. I dont suppose you know anything about the s85 engine management system? im not really looking to spend another £1000 on an ECU i was hoping to use the s85 system (just the engine loom and ecu). if i had to get another ecu I want to keep the vanos, but all the ecu's which i have seen can control the intake side only, (plus more wiring problems i really want to stay away from)

Thanks for the reply

genphreak
05-05-2010, 08:36 AM
i didn't want to use the smg because i already know its going to be a bitch getting the engine running without the worry of the gearbox too, did they do a complete manual on the e60? I thought about purchasing a 540i 6 speed instead of using the 520i, i was also hoping that an e39 m5 gearbox wouldnt be far off. I dont suppose you know anything about the s85 engine management system? im not really looking to spend another £1000 on an ECU i was hoping to use the s85 system (just the engine loom and ecu). if i had to get another ecu I want to keep the vanos, but all the ecu's which i have seen can control the intake side only, (plus more wiring problems i really want to stay away from)

Thanks for the reply
NP. I've no idea what tranny options they offered. I am sure it is possible to do both VANOS banks, u need to hunt around in the Megasquirt forums or ask the question of the good folk at HALTECH and Autronic. If you can get the whole bay loom with it, you can figure out how to deploy the e60 engine bay loom (though you'll need all the wiring diagrams and I bet it will get complex mating it up to the e34's body electronics). Again, I've NFI about the S85 electronics- start with a diagram from the various BMW softwarez; TIS and elctronic systems guides...