PDA

View Full Version : How do you reset OBD2?

Kibokojoe
04-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Working on a 2000 528i and it keeps throwing a P1250 code which indicates something in the fuel system. I replaced the fuel cap now how do I reset the computer so I can start fresh?

shogun
04-29-2010, 06:07 PM
maybe you just disconnect the DME plug for 10 minutes that the caps get empty and lose the stored faults, if there are any inside in that model/built year. On the E32 it works like that, just like a reset.

Tiger
04-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Just go to Autozone and borrow their scanner.... It's free!

Kibokojoe
04-29-2010, 07:18 PM
I have one but it will not reset the computer

Tiger
04-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Autozone scanner will not reset codes?

shogun
04-29-2010, 08:39 PM
as we are talking about OBD II scanner, a bit OT, anyone have a recommendation for a scanner for a 02/1998 E36 M3 in U.S. version? That is my latest toy and I want to buy a scanner for that.
Car was imported from the U.S., 4-door Sedan M3, never sold here, even with 5-speed automatic, never sold here respect. outside the U.S.

Ferret
04-30-2010, 08:05 AM
as we are talking about OBD II scanner, a bit OT, anyone have a recommendation for a scanner for a 02/1998 E36 M3 in U.S. version? That is my latest toy and I want to buy a scanner for that.
Car was imported from the U.S., 4-door Sedan M3, never sold here, even with 5-speed automatic, never sold here respect. outside the U.S.

Is it a roundplug only car, or is there a D connector lurking under the dash somewhere? I can't remember what year bmw started moving them over...

Tiger
04-30-2010, 08:26 AM
You can buy BMW specific OBD2 scanner or you can buy generic scanner... one cost 3 times more than ther other.

Kibokojoe
04-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Found one with a rectangular plug. $50 at Autozone. Reads and clears codes. Pretty cool for $50. Even comes with a software CD. Only good for 1996 and later Bimmers :(. Wish I had something like this for my 89 and 91.

Oh btw as with the older versions of BMWs you can reset the oil and service lights using the 20 pin port and jumping the 7 and 19 pin. I built a jumper using a couple of mini-banana plugs, wires and a button switch. 7 seconds for oil and 13 seconds for full service.
1. Install jumper. Make sure you connect to pin 7 and 19 (I have marked the pins with dots of white paint to make it easier to see next time)
2. Turn ignition on but don't start car
3. Push button to ground pin 7 and 19
4. Count to 7 or 13 depending on service
5. Push button to break connection
---Watch the dash as the oil light jumps from yellow to all green squares. Kind of satisfying and cool :)

Bill R.
04-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Shogun, if you want a actual scanner and not just a code reader/clearer then i would buy the Autoenginuity scan tool...by far the best buy for the money. If you buy the basic tool and the enhanced package for bmw you'll get all the cables you need with both the obdII under the dash and the round connector under the hood. To access the dash cluster and many other systems you have to use the round plug on the early obdII cars. The rectangle under the dash allows mostly engine functions.
Autoenginuity gets updated all the time and the guys are very helpful with any problems.It runs on any windows laptop

shogun
04-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the advice, Great Grand Master.