PDA

View Full Version : Should the Throttle Position Sensor click twice....

Chad535
06-13-2004, 11:04 AM
as it is turned from full close to full open ? Mine clicks only once i start to open the throttle and i thought it should click once more at the end indicating a full throttle.

Jeff N.
06-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Good question. One click is correct. Here's a pic of my old TPS I did a while ago. The click you here in the microswitch that triggers the off-idle setting. You can see how the WOT settting works here - via the cam closing the contacts. No microswitch to click. Bentley's has the procedure to test each setting.

This one failed to trigger WOT correctly and thus became the photo donor... :)

http://home.comcast.net/~jsnord/pics/tps.jpg

Jon M
06-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Auto and manual TPS' are different.

Jeff N.
06-13-2004, 11:24 AM
ah! good catch. This is from a manual....

JoeS
06-13-2004, 11:45 AM
1) Notice on the TPS mounting brackets on the sides, It looks like the TPS can 'slide' up and down the mounting bolt. So the TPS can have a varied position on the Throttle body. Does this matter?

2) If there is a difference between the TPS for an auto and manual, Do i have any issues since I coverted to a 5 spd? I do not think so since I have disabled all communication to and form the ECU of the auto tranny. Just checkin -

Chad535
06-14-2004, 07:46 AM
Thank you guyes....Jeff, would it be possible to send me the test procedure ?. I have the Haynes manual and it is the worst i ever seen.

Jeff N.
06-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Won't be home for a while...

Thank you guyes....Jeff, would it be possible to send me the test procedure ?. I have the Haynes manual and it is the worst i ever seen.

Martin in Bellevue
06-14-2004, 12:34 PM
The initial click is the off idle switch, making contact to the center post & one of the outer posts. The other outer post is for the wide open throttle switch, which didn't work for either Jeff's or my old TPS.

Your TPS may just need to be adjusted to be in the correct range of throttle travel. If it doesn't click when moving the throttle just off idle & back, loosen the 2 bolts & rotate.