PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to replace the headlight high beams switch?

repenttokyo
04-26-2010, 09:54 PM
I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything.

My high beam switch is dead. I still have flash to pass, and the turn signals still work. How hard is this switch to replace?

whiskychaser
04-27-2010, 02:47 AM
IIRC the switch has barbs and clicks into a housing in the column frame. On mine you cant part the upper and lower column cowls without removing 2 screws at the top. The problem is you cant see them let alone remove them without taking off the steering wheel. Not an issue for me as I dont have an airbag.

repenttokyo
04-27-2010, 09:09 AM
I don't have an airbag either. Is it tough to crack the big nut holding the steering wheel in?

whiskychaser
04-27-2010, 09:30 AM
I don't have an airbag either. Is it tough to crack the big nut holding the steering wheel in?
Not at all. It will help if you have the steering locked. Once you have removed the nut and washer you will need to unlock the steering again to allow you to pull the steering wheel up (off). I dont know if its absolutely necessary but I'd make sure the indicator arm is in the mid position when you put the wheel back on. There is a little lug that activates the self cancel and you dont want to break that off the new switch.

Edit: If yours is like mine, the bas...d screws you cant see go into the lugs on the far right side of part 3:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD68&mospid=47405&btnr=32_0493&hg=32&fg=30