PDA

View Full Version : Squeeking brakes

ahlem
04-24-2010, 08:37 PM
I have new ATE elliptical slotted rotors and barely used Axxis pads. The calipers have the metal pin upgrade. The pads came with the extra parts when I bought the car. These may have been track pads and didn't show much wear. Something is squeeking at an annoying level. Do I need to use a different pad?

h2oyo
04-25-2010, 04:29 PM
I have new ATE elliptical slotted rotors and barely used Axxis pads. The calipers have the metal pin upgrade. The pads came with the extra parts when I bought the car. These may have been track pads and didn't show much wear. Something is squeeking at an annoying level. Do I need to use a different pad?

I would check to see if they installed the metal back plate and I have always used that anti squeal goop for a better word lol. I dont know about the Axxis pads but could the squeal tab be bent and contacting the rotor early? Good luck and let us know what you find.
Johan

Tiger
04-25-2010, 08:18 PM
What Axxis pad did you install? You need to rescuff the rotors and break the pads in again. Clean rust of the caliper where pads contacts.

BMW4LIFE
04-29-2010, 03:05 AM
Like Tiger said...which pads?

Metallic? Race? I have heard that the race ones tend to sqeek more than others

do you put the anti sqeek goo on? if not you may want to take it all apart...shower the area with brake clean and a metal brush and go to town!

I have Akebono (spelling sucks) pads with ATE power slots and love them...not only do they not squeek they stop on a dime

Kibokojoe
04-29-2010, 08:37 AM
I have always found that you should start from the beginning. Remove the wheel, caliper pins, caliper and pads. Spin the rotor and make sure the squeek is not caused by rotor hitting or scraping against any of the strut/brake sheilding. Inspect the pads. Did you buy cheap pads you know the ones without the silencer shims that attach to the back of the pad. These shims are worth their weight in gold. If you don't have the shims you can cheat and use some brake silencer spray. I spray it on and use a heat gun on it until it bubbles up. That way you don't have to wait for hours for it to dry. Make sure the caliper pins are clean, some people use caliper lube on these pins but I have heard you are suppose to run them without any lube. Make sure the rubber boots that the caliper pins slide into are not dry rotted. Have you checked to see if the rotors are warped. I have a runout gauge that attaches magnetically to the frame and I can then spin the rotor and see if there is warpage. Most of the time sqeeks come from cheap pads, brake dust or warped rotors or a combination. Clean everything with brake cleaner. Get all of the brake dust off the components. I run only Brembo rotors and Akebono pads. Low dust

My 2 cents

ahlem
04-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Update...
I think they are track pads. The PO did some track time in the car at Gingerman and Road America. There is some more dust than the former ones. I think the area where the metal pad backing meets the caliper needs a bit more cleaning. Welcome to the Midwest. I may change the pads and clean the area. Only one is still issuing the offending squeek, fortunately. I cleaned all four again and am getting closer to making it go away. This time I will use anti squeek.

BMW4LIFE
04-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Update...
I think they are track pads. The PO did some track time in the car at Gingerman and Road America. There is some more dust than the former ones. I think the area where the metal pad backing meets the caliper needs a bit more cleaning. Welcome to the Midwest. I may change the pads and clean the area. Only one is still issuing the offending squeek, fortunately. I cleaned all four again and am getting closer to making it go away. This time I will use anti squeek.

if they are track pads persoanlly I would get new ones...being that they are track pads they are mostly composed of a metallic substance...moreover these pads will most likely need to be heated (preheated) before full results are observed furthermore there is a good chance that when you leave your house and need to make an emergency stop these pads will not work as they would have been hot which makes them not only unpredictable but also dangerous

if you dont mind spending $100 I would get the Akebonos

my 2 cents

Tiger
04-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Check the rotor condition. If it is glazed, you need new rotors.

Kibokojoe
04-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Metalic pads = glazed rotors

Tiger
04-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Not really. I had metallic pads for decades... However, metallic pad does create some abnormal scouring of rotors.

Organic pad is really equal to glazed rotor... 100% of time.

Racing pads are majority carbon fiber until recently that they have ceramic blend.

Kibokojoe
04-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Had problems with any brand of pad until I started installing Akebono pads. No squeeking, excessive dust, grooving or glazing. In this case you pay for what you get. Akebono no problems. I install them on all vehicles not just the bimmers.

Tiger
04-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Yep, I know... So far Akebono is the best. I install Akebono on all cars that came to me or through me. I won't install anything else.

Akebono is cheaper at Rockauto than usual places.