PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating interior creaks and rattles

BennyM
04-16-2010, 05:30 PM
So I just bought 75ft of felt tape to get rid of creaky sounds in the car. Plastic rubbing against old leather, vynal and other plastic panels gets really annoying after a while. So, I went to town on the interior and it made a noticeable difference. Took the door cards off, took the seat panels off, stuck some material between the top and bottom parts of the seat, even put some in the B-pillars. Center console is next. I'm down to like 10ft. I highly recommend this if you have the time and patience. And it's like $10 for a roll! (note: I have no affiliation with this place, but it's the best deal I found and it shipped really fast).

http://www.findtape.com/product412/JVCC-FELT-06-Polyester-Felt-Tape.aspx

Russell
04-18-2010, 08:09 PM
So I just bought 75ft of felt tape to get rid of creaky sounds in the car. Plastic rubbing against old leather, vynal and other plastic panels gets really annoying after a while. So, I went to town on the interior and it made a noticeable difference. Took the door cards off, took the seat panels off, stuck some material between the top and bottom parts of the seat, even put some in the B-pillars. Center console is next. I'm down to like 10ft. I highly recommend this if you have the time and patience. And it's like $10 for a roll! (note: I have no affiliation with this place, but it's the best deal I found and it shipped really fast).

http://www.findtape.com/product412/JVCC-FELT-06-Polyester-Felt-Tape.aspx
Like the idea. Still not sure where you put the material on the doors, b-pillars and seats.

I have found that lubing the door seals cuts down the creaking noises a bit.

Kibokojoe
04-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Ok I am interested how do you apply the felt?

BennyM
04-19-2010, 12:38 AM
One side of the tape is felt and the other is peel-away sticky. So, just cut to length and stick it, say, right were the top and bottom parts of your seats meet, but far enough in so you can't see it. Or line the edge of the door card that rubs against the metal part of the door, in between the white clips that hold the card in place. Among other places, I put strips of felt around the bottom corners of the front seat belt receptacles, as they tend to rub against the leather of the seat.

Ok I am interested how do you apply the felt?

BennyM
04-19-2010, 12:42 AM
I took the interior b-pillar panels off and stuck felt strips on the back-sides, and in the grooves for the seat-belt heigh adjustment plate. Also the plastic panels on either side of the front seats make a lot of noise rubbing against the leather and metal seat frame. So, I took them off and lined the inside edges with felt, and then I ran strips along the leather, right where the plastic panels dig into the leather (just barely visible, and actually looks like a stock accent detail).

Like the idea. Still not sure where you put the material on the doors, b-pillars and seats.

I have found that lubing the door seals cuts down the creaking noises a bit.

Russell
04-19-2010, 10:42 AM
ordered two rolls of 1" felt tape today.

Mas (UK)
04-21-2010, 04:24 PM
How about a pair of these instead to cut the noise down? Not just cheaper but can save you a whole bunch of time, too! Quite fashionable too, in a kind of weird way! :D