PDA

View Full Version : 535i torque converter bad?

hlenoble
06-13-2004, 12:35 AM
While driving my 1989 535iA today I noticed a significant shake/shimmy/vibration that I believe to be the torque converter. Please let me know if you agree with my diagnosis, and if so, please let me know if the torque converter is sold separately. Finally, I am looking for recommendations as to where to buy one and the approximate cost.

When driving at any speed from about 55 mph or more, during moderate acceleration the car vibrates or shimmies significantly. If I accelerate hard enough to cause a downshift there is no shimmy, and if I accelerate very slowly from that speed there is no shimmy as well.

As I recently replaced most of the front suspension, there are NO other vibrations or shimmies, regardless of speed, gear, acceleration, or braking.

Thanks in advance for your help…

- Hal

Chad535
06-13-2004, 08:27 AM
Are you getting same vibrations when increasing engine speed on P or N. Mine has this vibration and i was advised that this might be worn transmission mounts.

Any Comments guys

hlenoble
06-13-2004, 09:57 AM
Are you getting same vibrations when increasing engine speed on P or N. Mine has this vibration and i was advised that this might be worn transmission mounts.

Any Comments guys

No, the problem is very specific and happens ONLY upon moderate acceleration in 4th gear at 50 mph of higher...

hlenoble
06-14-2004, 11:08 PM
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

632 Regal
06-15-2004, 05:37 AM
Yes, have your engine and trans mounts checked. while they are looking have em take a peek at the guibo, thats what it sounds like to me.

Unregistered
07-09-2004, 03:55 AM
My 1994 M50 525IA has this vibration too. Around 2000 rpm's. It has the vibration both in gears and driving as well as standing still and rev the engine in Park or neutral. Guibo and bearing have been replaced, all ignition parts aswell. My BMW mechanic is also guessing it is the torque converter. The vibration gets worse the higher the gear, so cruising at 100 kilometers and have the autobox shift to lock up can results in severe vibrations. If I hit the throttle and have the box shift down the vribation is gone. I'll replace the tranny mounts tomorrow to see if it makes any difference.

Greets,
Marc

hlenoble
07-11-2004, 11:56 PM
I took my mechanic for a ride and he agreed that the torque converter was the likely cause of the vibration. He suggested a transmission fluid & filter change before more expensive options. The change worked wonders, the vibration is gone.

I expect that I will need to replace the transmission (168K miles) at some point in the near future, (hard shifts and other "signs") but right now I am content with the vibration gone.