PDA

View Full Version : OT: Volcanic ash from Iceland?

whiskychaser
04-15-2010, 08:49 AM
All commercial flights have been banned from UK airspace until around 1800hrs today:
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/volcanic-ash-clouds-from-iceland-ground-uk-flights-1945547.html
First it was the Cod Wars. Then they sent us Bjork. Their banks collapsed owing us loads of cash. Now this. What did we ever do to Iceland?;)

whiskychaser
04-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Hmm. Been off work today. Clear skies and not a spec of dust. But flights cancelled in GB/F/DE/DK/NL/BE etc until around 1400hrs tomorrow. By coincidence Hallmark showed what happened to BA Speedbird 9 when it flew into a cloud of volcanic dust en route to Australia. Conspiracy theorists will be drawing conclusions

e34.535i.sport
04-15-2010, 07:03 PM
What did we ever do to Iceland?;)

Two words... Kerry Katona.

repenttokyo
04-16-2010, 02:05 PM
the icelandic menace has been sorely underestimated through history!

bsell
04-17-2010, 05:28 AM
Oh, Europe, nay, the whole earth is feeling Iceland's might right now. At least if you wanted to fly to/through Europe that is...

This is the worst disruption to European Civil aviation since WWII!

whiskychaser
04-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Daily Mail headline is 'One million britons stranded...food shortages expected'. Time to start the Atlantic convoys going again? Hang on a mo though...we only stopped paying for the last lot about 5 years ago;)

repenttokyo
04-17-2010, 12:05 PM
All commercial flights have been banned from UK airspace until around 1800hrs today:
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/volcanic-ash-clouds-from-iceland-ground-uk-flights-1945547.html
First it was the Cod Wars. Then they sent us Bjork. Their banks collapsed owing us loads of cash. Now this. What did we ever do to Iceland?;)

i wouldn't be surprised if the cod were behind this too.

whiskychaser
04-17-2010, 04:07 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if the cod were behind this too.
Yeah. The cod should get battered (Yes this is a very old and very poor joke)

leicesterboy15
04-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Hmm. Been off work today. Clear skies and not a spec of dust. But flights cancelled in GB/F/DE/DK/NL/BE etc until around 1400hrs tomorrow. By coincidence Hallmark showed what happened to BA Speedbird 9 when it flew into a cloud of volcanic dust en route to Australia. Conspiracy theorists will be drawing conclusions

My car hasn't moved for the last 4 weeks, it was clean when I parked it and its covered in dust now - not the usual kind of dust either!

whiskychaser
04-20-2010, 06:12 PM
My car hasn't moved for the last 4 weeks, it was clean when I parked it and its covered in dust now - not the usual kind of dust either!
All I get on my car is sand!:D
My brother is stuck in Portugal with some friends. He's talking about catching a train a.m. Friday and arriving in Calais some time around 20.30 Saturday night. I lived in Dover in the 80's and friends there say his chances of a hotel or renting a car there are nil. So its down to me to put on my blue suit and play international rescue. Its family so its my job and I'm not complaining. But if somebody at the met says 'oh, i might have got that wrong',I may be tempted to buy a train ticket to London and give somebody a slap;)