PDA

View Full Version : Almost had 2 months of not 1222....

Golgade
04-08-2010, 08:07 PM
I was just pulling out of a parking lot and BAM! The CEL came back on..... grrr. After changing the O2 Sensors I have been free of the light and it was almost 2 months and 1000 miles. I assume its O2 sensor related after coming back on so soon. Did I some how fry out my o2 sensors already? What should I attempt to tackle now.............

Tiger
04-08-2010, 10:45 PM
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/Mult-Code_Reading/Mult-Code_Reading.htm

You have to remember... just because it shoot O2 code doesn't mean O2 needs to be changed. It actually is telling you that something is wrong with your fuel injection system. 90% of the time... it is something other than O2.

MBXB
04-08-2010, 11:43 PM
When I get a bad tank of gas, same thing happens to me till I burn through a couple of tanks.

tim s
04-09-2010, 01:45 PM
my cats where blocked causing the issue.
tim s.

Golgade
04-10-2010, 05:26 PM
my cats where blocked causing the issue.
tim s.

I am willing to bet that it the same with me. The light did go out and has been out for a few days, but I bet its just going to pop up more and more. What were the symptoms of haivng blocked cats, did you just kill o2 sensors? Did you exaust produce a rather smelly oder?

Tiger
04-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Signs of failing cat... lots of knocking, rattling sound. Loss of engine power if clogged.

Reason for failing cat... raw fuel burned by cat converter.

What cause raw fuel to reach cat? Leaky fue injector, bad coil boot (oil in spark plug well... shorting sparks), bad coils or bad AFM. Lots of white smokes coming out of tail pipe is sure sign of bad coil boot.

Like I said, O2 code does not mean O2 is dead... easily checked with scanner.

632 Regal
04-10-2010, 07:49 PM
reboot the computer and pretend it never happened. You did replace all intake gaskets and plate gaskets?

Kibokojoe
04-11-2010, 03:56 AM
Yeap a Shogun reboot

Golgade
04-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Reboot and Pretending it didnt happen is my plan,Yeah I did replace the intake gaskets, the plate, O2 sensors, fuel filters, plugs, valve cover gaskets, coil boots, MAF, and done a pretty extensive vaccum leak check. So I really think I have covered everything it could be, aside from a clogged cat, and the only symptom I have for that is a real acrid smelling exaust. But from the sounds of what alot of you guys are saying the CEL is just something that can come on for silly reasons, and go off just as soon, so I really shouldnt stress it(which is usually my problem).

tim s
04-12-2010, 11:14 AM
i did not know when i bought the car they were blocked, i got random 1222 errors, but did not find blocked cats till i replaced the tranny, its amazing how quick it gets to the redline now.
tim s.

632 Regal
04-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Q? do the coil boots match the plug tubes? (wires) Febi and bosch both have different resistance ratings.

Reboot and Pretending it didnt happen is my plan,Yeah I did replace the intake gaskets, the plate, O2 sensors, fuel filters, plugs, valve cover gaskets, coil boots, MAF, and done a pretty extensive vaccum leak check. So I really think I have covered everything it could be, aside from a clogged cat, and the only symptom I have for that is a real acrid smelling exaust. But from the sounds of what alot of you guys are saying the CEL is just something that can come on for silly reasons, and go off just as soon, so I really shouldnt stress it(which is usually my problem).

Golgade
04-15-2010, 09:11 PM
I dont know on the coil boots, ill take a look at them this weekend. But here is an update: reset the computer, drove it for about 200 miles, light came on and went off in aabout five minutes. Then it came back on again yesterday and didnt go off after 50 miles of driving, accept during very even freeway driving like before. Reset the computer, it came right back. So, I had a o2 sensor from the other side that I knew wa good and I put it in, didnt reset the computer, and the light went right out and hasnt been back. So, I would guess I am going to be eating them up. Its only the passenger side that is bad, drivers seems fine.

Tiger
04-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Doesn't make any difference... It is anywhere between 1500 to 2200 ohm. However, the new type of boot only let you measure one time instant... not continuous ohm reading.