PDA

View Full Version : has anyone ever used seafoam in the injector machine?

ryan roopnarine
04-08-2010, 02:12 PM
I got an OTC injector cleaner apparatus about four years ago for a song, but it didn't come with any adaptors. I'm about to stop cheaping out and buy the ford connector, as I would like to clean the injectors on the taurus before I drive to Toronto in a few weeks. The instructions on the side of the can say that you can use seafoam in a 50/50 mix with gasoline in cleaning machines, but I'm wondering if I would be just wasting my time doing so. IIRC Bill R had said something previously about the OTC cleaning fluid not doing that great of a job, but if I can save some $$$ and run two cans of seafoam, which I can obtain for a decent price locally, I'll use it instead of buying the BG stuff of ebay.

Thanks in advance.

Bill R.
04-08-2010, 05:09 PM
The seafoam works ok in the otc cleaner but not great.
I still have better results with BG or even the 3m injector cleaner. I ran the bg with a greater than 50/50 concentration. more like 75/25 and it still took a couple of cans... This is on cars with a noticeable misfire though. where your setting a code for example cylinder 1 and 3 misfire along with a random multiple misfire code.
Then again the seafoam is a lot cheaper sometimes at Wallyworld compared to Bg or 3m

I got an OTC injector cleaner apparatus about four years ago for a song, but it didn't come with any adaptors. I'm about to stop cheaping out and buy the ford connector, as I would like to clean the injectors on the taurus before I drive to Toronto in a few weeks. The instructions on the side of the can say that you can use seafoam in a 50/50 mix with gasoline in cleaning machines, but I'm wondering if I would be just wasting my time doing so. IIRC Bill R had said something previously about the OTC cleaning fluid not doing that great of a job, but if I can save some $$$ and run two cans of seafoam, which I can obtain for a decent price locally, I'll use it instead of buying the BG stuff of ebay.

Thanks in advance.

Tiger
04-08-2010, 05:20 PM
I am assuming this Soafoam, BG or 3M is used to injector cleaner... have you tried the Lubro Moly Jectron or their commercial injector cleaner?

Venti Sauber for the valve and carbon removal?

I see what you are talking about on the 95 Mercedes E300D bottom engine cover! LOL... I didn't get nailed with diesel but it made a mess on my driveway by pouring diesel while backing up... My injector pump seals are leaking... got kit coming... but boy it leaks!

ryan roopnarine
04-08-2010, 06:51 PM
The seafoam works ok in the otc cleaner but not great.
I still have better results with BG or even the 3m injector cleaner. I ran the bg with a greater than 50/50 concentration. more like 75/25 and it still took a couple of cans... This is on cars with a noticeable misfire though. where your setting a code for example cylinder 1 and 3 misfire along with a random multiple misfire code.
Then again the seafoam is a lot cheaper sometimes at Wallyworld compared to Bg or 3m

wow. i always thought that the 3m stuff was described as being somewhat ineffectual. i guess I might be wasting my time trying to feed it the seafoam solution. good info on the concentration modification, thanks.

ryan roopnarine
04-08-2010, 06:53 PM
I am assuming this Soafoam, BG or 3M is used to injector cleaner... have you tried the Lubro Moly Jectron or their commercial injector cleaner?

Venti Sauber for the valve and carbon removal?

I see what you are talking about on the 95 Mercedes E300D bottom engine cover! LOL... I didn't get nailed with diesel but it made a mess on my driveway by pouring diesel while backing up... My injector pump seals are leaking... got kit coming... but boy it leaks!

yeah, it's used to clean injectors. I figure that since i own the machine and an air compressor that I should just stop screwing around with the in the tank stuff and combine the fuel injector cleaning and the questionable "seafoam vac line" treatment into one easy, relatively riskless step. lubro moly makes this stuff, but I wouldn't even know where to buy it to try it out.

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/e_5152.html

Tiger
04-08-2010, 10:29 PM
AutohausAZ has Lubro Moly stuff. I have been using Jectron and Venti Sauber for at least 14 years.

Bill R.
04-09-2010, 12:27 AM
I've been very unimpressed with the lubro moly products here..... Ryan if you can get seafoam at a cheap price use it in the OTC cleaner. If you use a couple of cans it will work fine. The only thing you have to make sure of on the ford is to shut off the return line. On some of them i didn't , block it off,plug it, etc and when you start cranking the fuel pressure up on the OTC to get up to operating pressure sometimes the fuel pressure regulator will bypass some of the mixture back into the tank.
A can of injector cleaner that should have run for 15-20 minutes or so will only run for a few minutes....so plug off the return line when you disable the fuel pump.

yeah, it's used to clean injectors. I figure that since i own the machine and an air compressor that I should just stop screwing around with the in the tank stuff and combine the fuel injector cleaning and the questionable "seafoam vac line" treatment into one easy, relatively riskless step. lubro moly makes this stuff, but I wouldn't even know where to buy it to try it out.

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/e_5152.html

ryan roopnarine
04-09-2010, 12:38 AM
I've been very unimpressed with the lubro moly products here..... Ryan if you can get seafoam at a cheap price use it in the OTC cleaner. If you use a couple of cans it will work fine. The only thing you have to make sure of on the ford is to shut off the return line. On some of them i didn't , block it off,plug it, etc and when you start cranking the fuel pressure up on the OTC to get up to operating pressure sometimes the fuel pressure regulator will bypass some of the mixture back into the tank.
A can of injector cleaner that should have run for 15-20 minutes or so will only run for a few minutes....so plug off the return line when you disable the fuel pump.

I'm actually looking for something to plug the return line with right now, bill. thanks.