PDA

View Full Version : Got some happy wrenching done over Easter!

genphreak
04-05-2010, 08:42 AM
In between spates of rain and some overdue gardening/weeding, I managed to pressure bleed the brakes on the Touring (& the neighbour's e30), install an OBC and an e39 shifter handle, clean the windows and check the fluids. To my surprise she drives way better. My local indie forgot to put Super Dot 4 in when I got him to put V8 calipers, new rotors and Akebonos on the old girl a month back. The new brakes felt like spongey poo- they were worried and told me about it before I took it back, so I finally shelled out for a pressure bleeder and have been waiting for it to come and me to get the time. Gave the reservoir a positive 3.5 atmospheres of pressure. The fluid spat out nice and strong.

No bubbles came out though and I got a constant flow, about 200mL per wheel. The brakes now feel really nice and smooth stopping at the lights. Before the fronts were barely biting.

How the hell can this be? All I did was change the fluid... before it was so bad I was starting to think the master cyl was on the way out!

Tiger
04-05-2010, 08:46 AM
He didn't completely flush your brake. This is typical feeling after good flush.

genphreak
04-05-2010, 09:11 AM
He didn't completely flush your brake. This is typical feeling after good flush.Indeed, but no bubbles came out... I can't understand why this should be...

repenttokyo
04-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Indeed, but no bubbles came out... I can't understand why this should be...

the fluid itself could have been contaminated.

Jr ///M5
04-08-2010, 07:51 PM
I would like to ask about fitting the E39 shifter handle to the E34. Was it an even swap out or did you have to modify anything?

My daughter's E34 525iT shifter handle has some problems and this would be an option if the E39 shifter is a direct fit.

Thanks,
Jr

genphreak
04-09-2010, 07:48 AM
I would like to ask about fitting the E39 shifter handle to the E34. Was it an even swap out or did you have to modify anything? Thanks,
JrNo it takes some effort. Best thing to do is remove teh entire assembly and put it on the bench. You need to cut the shaft down by over an inch to get the stock e39 shift handle to lock against the notches on the e34 assy- you need to add 8mm to the shaft doing this, as you then have to cut some slots into the shaft to allow the anti-twist slots to mate tightly inside the handle. Depending on how well you do it, it will lock on, but if it doesn't you can use a dremmel to put a notch around the base where the ridge inside the handle will then locate. If you can get an entire e38 shift assy instead to swap in, you'll have a better upgrade with not much more work really. Either is a great result! I also have Shogun (Taki's) LED gear indicator, it is a huge improvement for mum so she can see what gear she is putting it in (still can't teach her to look at the dash!). Toyotas destroy one's senses permanently it seems...

Jr ///M5
04-09-2010, 07:29 PM
I'll keep my eye out for the E38 type also. Thanks for the info...

Jr

Geoff Hoad
04-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Possibly they used fluid which had absorbed water which is a real possibility given that brake fluid is hydroscopic.

genphreak
04-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Indeed... I'm going to have a stiff (as opposed to spongey) chat with them. They are normally very good... cheers Geoff!