PDA

View Full Version : Take It Off....or Keep it On?!

BMW4LIFE
04-02-2010, 10:51 AM
So I was wondering how to take the 525I badge off my trunk

Will there be a difference in paint color? <--- I have a feeling :(

Is it pressed into the trunk or held by glue?

thanks

mikell
04-02-2010, 10:58 AM
I know some people who remove badges by using dental floss, then polishing the paint after the numbers come off.
Whether the paint looks different probably depends on whether your paint is faded in the area.
Why do you want to remove the badge?
Just don't replace the original with an M-Tech badge - that's for wankers.

BMW4LIFE
04-02-2010, 11:15 AM
I know some people who remove badges by using dental floss, then polishing the paint after the numbers come off.
Whether the paint looks different probably depends on whether your paint is faded in the area.
Why do you want to remove the badge?
Just don't replace the original with an M-Tech badge - that's for wankers.

Oh you know...I was going to replace it with ....

///M5 SS Turbo Supercharged i logo i just got on eBAY!:D:D:D:D

hahaha!

No way man!!! I HATE PEOPLE THAT DO THAT!!!!

it actually makes me mad!!

I want to take it off for a cleaner look...

I saw one in town and really liked it...as far as the paint being faded...I guess it has to be a little faded being a 17 year old car

I am afraid that if I take it off it will look awful and there will be a 525I shadow there :(

BMWDriver
04-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Pulled mine off, on the account it was badly placed, broken and missing the "i", and too far on the right for me to add the missing item. After washing, it did not look bad at all, but you could read the 525 if you looked very, and I mean very close. Have not looked up close recently, and forgot to, so that goes to show it's not bad at all.

I know it's a 525, and that's good enough for me. I think it doesn't matter that others don't know it's a 525. Who really cares what model it is anyway. It's a nice car, that's all. I just love to drive it.

bubba966
04-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Dental floss is what my very knowledgeable detailer told me to use if I ever wanted to pull the badges off. And since that's what he does on the Ferrari's and such he works on I'm sure it'll work fine on our BMW's.

You'll need to hit the area with some 3M adhesive remover or Naptha (Zippo lighter fluid). Then immediately clean/wash the area.

I'm sure you'll need to give the trunk a good polish. Black E34's usually fade a little and it doesn't fade under the badge. Can usually be made to be virtually invisible with a good polish & wax job.

BMW4LIFE
04-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Dental floss is what my very knowledgeable detailer told me to use if I ever wanted to pull the badges off. And since that's what he does on the Ferrari's and such he works on I'm sure it'll work fine on our BMW's.

You'll need to hit the area with some 3M adhesive remover or Naptha (Zippo lighter fluid). Then immediately clean/wash the area.

I'm sure you'll need to give the trunk a good polish. Black E34's usually fade a little and it doesn't fade under the badge. Can usually be made to be virtually invisible with a good polish & wax job.

I have this stuff locally....

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?counter=0&categoryDisplayName=Wash+and+Wax&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=209229_0_0_&productId=209229&sortType=high&parentId=1818-10&filterByKeyWord=wax&categoryNValue=101818&navValue=100109&fromWhere=&itemId=109-10&displayName=Black+Box+includes+12+oz.+each+Pre-Wax+cleaner%2C+black+carnauba+wax+and+spray+detail er&store=3353&skuDisplayName=Black+Box+includes+12+oz.+each+Pre-Wax+cleaner%2C+black+carnauba+wax+and+spray+detail er&brandName=Turtle+Wax

what do you think? I used Zymol before with SO SO results so I am lost as what to use...and everytime I go somewhere someone says something different...

It seems like waxes are like oils...everyone has their own team...

I just want one to work on a BLACK car and rejuvenate my paint! :)

bubba966
04-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Forgot to add it's basically just a think plastic sticker. Which is why using the floss in a back and forth sawing motion pops the badge off, and the adhesive remover gets the residue of that's left.

Also will add that every time I see a debadged E34 I think ghetto sled 525. Don't think your 525 is a ghetto sled. But I guess it is a 525...

BMW4LIFE
04-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Forgot to add it's basically just a think plastic sticker. Which is why using the floss in a back and forth sawing motion pops the badge off, and the adhesive remover gets the residue of that's left.

Also will add that every time I see a debadged E34 I think ghetto sled 525. Don't think your 525 is a ghetto sled. But I guess it is a 525...

hahaha!!!

Well I don't want you to think that I trying to impose an M5 or a 540i...to be honest with you if I had a 540i I would remove the badge as well...

I think it looks very clean and stealthy

just concerned about the difference in the paint tints =/

paul p (chi-town)
04-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Wait, your car is single stage black, or a ‘metallic black’ w/ clearcoat over?
It does make a difference.

If it’s straight black your paint might be faded or there’s just fuzzy clearcoat. While there are way too many products, a proper 3 product rejuvenation will bring most any car back.
Paint cleaner, glaze and wax.
Take it off either way and just look. If there is an obvious difference and you want to put the least effort in, get paint cleaner (step 1) that can be used by hand (check the label, some you have to use a machine). Then do just the trunk vertical and wash/wax the whole car.
Most likely you’ll just have to get aggressive with cleaning the glue remains, cotton and a proper product should do the trick and that’s it. BMW paint jobs are pretty good compared to most auto makers.

Of course when i did the 3er (it’s an overachiever) it spiraled into a full on exterior detail.
Between multiple cars and the boat .. i love my orbital buffer. :-)

Hang up & Drive!
94 BMW 530iT&A 155K, ‘Helga’ ( TRUSUV 5, The future kinder schleppen )
93 Datsun SE-R 99K ‘Jenny’ ( STILL parting out )
93 Datsun NX2000 190K ‘Carla’ ( Rusty beater with a seat heater )
92 BMW 325i 179K, ‘Rolf’ ( 3rd set of FCA bushings and almost the cleanest )
85 Toyo MR2 140K ‘Jerry’ ( Vintage track toy, acceleration is intentional )

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
- Hunter S. Thompson

BMW4LIFE
04-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Wait, your car is single stage black, or a ‘metallic black’ w/ clearcoat over?
It does make a difference.

If it’s straight black your paint might be faded or there’s just fuzzy clearcoat. While there are way too many products, a proper 3 product rejuvenation will bring most any car back.
Paint cleaner, glaze and wax.
Take it off either way and just look. If there is an obvious difference and you want to put the least effort in, get paint cleaner (step 1) that can be used by hand (check the label, some you have to use a machine). Then do just the trunk vertical and wash/wax the whole car.
Most likely you’ll just have to get aggressive with cleaning the glue remains, cotton and a proper product should do the trick and that’s it. BMW paint jobs are pretty good compared to most auto makers.

Of course when i did the 3er (it’s an overachiever) it spiraled into a full on exterior detail.
Between multiple cars and the boat .. i love my orbital buffer. :-)

Hang up & Drive!
94 BMW 530iT&A 155K, ‘Helga’ ( TRUSUV 5, The future kinder schleppen )
93 Datsun SE-R 99K ‘Jenny’ ( STILL parting out )
93 Datsun NX2000 190K ‘Carla’ ( Rusty beater with a seat heater )
92 BMW 325i 179K, ‘Rolf’ ( 3rd set of FCA bushings and almost the cleanest )
85 Toyo MR2 140K ‘Jerry’ ( Vintage track toy, acceleration is intentional )

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
- Hunter S. Thompson

I want to say that I have a jet black paint job because it does not look metallic at all but it could just be an old paint job

do i have to run my VIN to check the paint?

where can I do that?

Bo525i
04-03-2010, 04:02 AM
Check under the hood, passenger side wheel well..