PDA

View Full Version : Changed the Valve Cover Gasket and Now Have An Oil Leak =/

BMW4LIFE
03-28-2010, 01:53 AM
Like the title says...

I discovered it when i was changing the tranny fluid

I noticed oil on the exhaust and traced it back up to the back of the engine...

I used a spray sealant when I replaced the gasket but apparently that was not good enough

the gasket is brand new and a VERY GOOD BRAND

questions...

a) what kind of sealant should I use?

b) can I use my new gasket or do I need to order another one?

c) should I use a silicone based sealant?

thanks guys

Bo525i
03-28-2010, 03:38 AM
Are you sure that the half-moon part of the gasket was seated properly when you remounted the covers, sounds like thatīs where the leak occurred?

Anyways, when I changed mine I used this sealant sparingly in the whole groove in the covers plus the spots in the pic below: http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_Ultra_Copper_Maximum_Temperature_RTV _Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm
It helps in holding the gasket when mounting the covers and seals everything!

bubba966
03-28-2010, 10:30 AM
You can reuse the gasket since it's new.

You're going to want to use an RTV in the spots on the pic above. I used Permatex black RTV on the M50 that I pulled the valve cover on to do the VANOS repair.

Russell
03-28-2010, 03:45 PM
I changed the valve cover gasket on my 95 525i about 16 months and did not use any sealalnt. No leaks. Why would I use a sealant?

leicesterboy15
03-28-2010, 04:17 PM
I changed the valve cover gasket on my 95 525i about 16 months and did not use any sealalnt. No leaks. Why would I use a sealant?

I was going to ask the same question, is a sealant needed? I'm about to do this on my m60.

whiskychaser
03-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Only reason I can see to use sealant is to hold the gasket in place somewhere it may move while you are placing the cover on. Well, exactly the spots in the diagram:D I use some sealant on the steel washers on the sump guard for exactly that reason. Doesnt perform any sealing function. It just makes life easier

Kibokojoe
03-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Don't use a sealant except at specific points and then use use a small glob about the size of a pea. What engine do you have?

BMW4LIFE
03-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Are you sure that the half-moon part of the gasket was seated properly when you remounted the covers, sounds like thatīs where the leak occurred?

Anyways, when I changed mine I used this sealant sparingly in the whole groove in the covers plus the spots in the pic below: http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_Ultra_Copper_Maximum_Temperature_RTV _Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm
It helps in holding the gasket when mounting the covers and seals everything!

Love the diagram...thanks!

and yes i suspect the half moon as well...I am waiting for the engine to cool before I start.

Hopefully this time around I do a better job ;)

BMW4LIFE
03-28-2010, 09:18 PM
don't use a sealant except at specific points and then use use a small glob about the size of a pea. What engine do you have?

m50

Kibokojoe
03-29-2010, 07:04 AM
Exactly. The only other place is where a gasket makes a sharp turn and the gasket may not seal at the turn.