PDA

View Full Version : changin tranny in my 94 530

outomoneyracer
03-27-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm finally gonna swap out the tranny in my 530. While under the car looking over my job I determined dropping down the exhaust is going to be a PITA. It is safe to say that the studs from the exhaust manifolds to the pipes are gonna snap off. Does anybody know if these studs just pound out the back of manifold and you can just pound knew ones back in? Looks like a lot more work than changing a tranny in my old mustang. lol Looks like I have to drop whole exhaust, then heat shields just to get drive shaft off so that I can finally get to the tranny to start unbolting it, lol But then again those silly Germans do have different ways of doing things; maybe thats why we love these cars so much. Any help or insite with this project would sure be appreciated. Thanx...Barry

Tiger
03-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Whoa.... who said driveshaft must come off first? You have a flexdisc right at driveshaft and tranny... unless I am mistaken.

Most tranny shop does not drop anything to get to the tranny.

whiskychaser
03-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Realoem shows the studs as threaded at both ends for mine. So I wouldnt recommend going at them with a hammer:D On the bright side, the nuts are usually softer than the studs. I dont know the layout of the V but on a straight six you dont you have a lot of choice - you have to part it.

632 Regal
03-28-2010, 01:21 AM
threaded into the manifold, chances are pretty good that they will snap too. Never did the trans so not sure if the exhaust needs to be dropped, I know the driveshaft can stay in there.